• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I am soooo confused

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fire1ss

What is the name of your state? NJ
my soon-to-be-exwife opened a credit card in my name and ran up $927 in charges. I finally got Capital One to admit it is fraud because I didn't sign any charge slips. They didn't consider the opening of the account to be fraud. My question is now that I have filed a report with the police and had it cleared by Capital One my next steop is filing charges. I went to do this today and was told if I don't have a current address for my wife it is a waste of time (she just moved out of state last week) and I could end up paying a dismissal fee in 6 months. I don't understand why I have had to do all the investigational and leg work to find out who opened the account and now for the prosecution. The charges would be me against her. I thought it would be the state or Capital One against her. I am confused now as to what to do. i can't afford an attourney for this but now I may need one. Since Capital One has agreed that it is fraud and not my responsibility can I just let it go or will it still effect my credit?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">