• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I bought a used transmission and had it installed by a garage, it failed a week later

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Alleycat61

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York.
Last week the transmission in my 1998 Mazda 626 quit on my over a hundred miles from where I live. I brought it to a repair shop who said they would put another transmission in for $450, but I had to purchase the transmission myself from somewhere else. They recommended a place that sold used auto parts, and I went on their recommendation because I know nothing about transmissions or auto repair and was so far from home. I paid $882 for the used transmission. The back of the transmission invoice said guaranteed to work as long as the installation was done right by the mechanic.

The transmission was delivered to the repair shop about a week later, and the mechanic installed the transmission. I paid the mechanic and drove on my way. Now, a week later, my car wont move. I checked the transmission dipstick with it running and in park, like you're supposed to, and the fluid looks reddish brown, like it's not new, and it's overfilled. I called the mechanic who swears it's new fluid, of course he will say that though. He says everything he did was correct and that I take my chance with used parts.

The used parts store will take the transmission back and give me a replacement, the problem is I have to have the transmission removed from the car myself and returned to them, and yet pay someone else to do this, and then install the replacement. I'm out of luck and out $1,400 on this one, arent I?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York.
Last week the transmission in my 1998 Mazda 626 quit on my over a hundred miles from where I live. I brought it to a repair shop who said they would put another transmission in for $450, but I had to purchase the transmission myself from somewhere else. They recommended a place that sold used auto parts, and I went on their recommendation because I know nothing about transmissions or auto repair and was so far from home. I paid $882 for the used transmission. The back of the transmission invoice said guaranteed to work as long as the installation was done right by the mechanic.

The transmission was delivered to the repair shop about a week later, and the mechanic installed the transmission. I paid the mechanic and drove on my way. Now, a week later, my car wont move. I checked the transmission dipstick with it running and in park, like you're supposed to, and the fluid looks reddish brown, like it's not new, and it's overfilled. I called the mechanic who swears it's new fluid, of course he will say that though. He says everything he did was correct and that I take my chance with used parts.

The used parts store will take the transmission back and give me a replacement, the problem is I have to have the transmission removed from the car myself and returned to them, and yet pay someone else to do this, and then install the replacement. I'm out of luck and out $1,400 on this one, arent I?
You agreed to the terms of the warranty.

OHRoadwarrior

This situation is why it often better to get a rebuilt transmission or sell the car as it sits. I once sold a car off the side of the road due to timing belt failure taking out the top end of the engine. A replacement would have cost more than the value of the car at the time.

BL

Same as a used engine. You pay the labor ,the recycle parts Co. replaces the part .

Sounds like you're stuck here as you drove it a week before it failed .Even if it had failed 10 minutes after you drove it , you'd be responsible for labor.

Better to find a reputable transmission shop and pay a little more , even if you have to pay a small tow bill fee.

Ladyback1

the fluid looks reddish brown, like it's not new, and it's overfilled
ummmm....tranny fluid IS reddish brown!

And the warranty said "guaranteed to work"---it did!

Transmissions are PITA to rebuild and install (have watched and helped significant other and 12 y/o son rebuild and install 2)

Since you appear to know little about engines and transmissions, I'd suggest you find a really good mechanic.

Alleycat61

ummmm....tranny fluid IS reddish brown!

And the warranty said "guaranteed to work"---it did!

Transmissions are PITA to rebuild and install (have watched and helped significant other and 12 y/o son rebuild and install 2)

Since you appear to know little about engines and transmissions, I'd suggest you find a really good mechanic.
Hey I believe you when you say they are a PITA for a backyard mechanic and his son, lol, maybe they're the ones that rebuilt mine. Well, thanks for your input. Incidentally, transmission fluid is red.

Incidentally, transmission fluid is red.
Blood is red, transmission fluid is not red by comparison. It always looks darker than plain ol red even when it's brand new.

You are kind of SOL on this one as far as the labor is concerned. The mechanic doesn't want to do the same work all over again for free because of a bad part (which of course is his position, we don't know for sure if it is the tranny itself or how he installed it). You can get a new tranny for free, but not the labor. This is, unfortunately, the gamble with used parts. If you were inclined and had friends to help you DIY, you'd be better off in the wallet. For the price you paid altogether, a transmission rebuild might have been in the same ballpark and the warranty would cover anything that happens with it.

Ladyback1

Hey I believe you when you say they are a PITA for a backyard mechanic and his son, lol, maybe they're the ones that rebuilt mine. Well, thanks for your input. Incidentally, transmission fluid is red.

Incidentally---my boyfriend is an engineer. My boyfriend has probably rebuilt more engines and trannys than the "backyard" mechanic! As a hobby years ago, he worked as pit-crew for a local racetrack. Furthermore--if he had rebuilt your tranny and put it in? It wouldn't have broken a week after. How do I know this? The two he's rebuilt recently (2 different vehicles) are still running strong. He doesn't buy new vehicles--he buys POS, fixes them and then drives the tires off of them.

And transmission fluid is NOT red--it appears red brown when it's new.

So, really--you assume a lot.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">