• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I bought a van, now they want more money.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

On July 29 I negotiated with a dealer for a new van. After the first part of the negotiations I stated that I was only concerned with my final total cost of the vehicle (my total cost would include title, registration, and all taxes). We finally agreed on a total cost for me of $23,350.

On July 30 I returned to the dealership and the cost ended up being $23,409.94. I was not happy that the cost had went up $59.94, but I decided not to create a stink over $59.94.

I paid for the van in-full and left the dealership with a completed vehicle purchase contract that lists the amount for the vehicle, the amount I paid for the various fees, and the amount of the sales tax I paid.

The dealer contacted me one day later and said I owe an additional $1902.00 for taxes, title, and registration. They claim the offer sheet shows that I agreed to pay $23,350 plus all taxes and fees. In fact, the offer sheet mentions nothing about taxes, title, and registration after the initial offer because I had requested my total cost be on the sheet, not the cost plus all of the taxes and fees. The offer sheet is a mess to try to read. Offers are written over previous offers, along the edge of the sheet and even on the back. At one point they wrote that they wanted $230,000 for the van. The offer sheet is only signed by me. The vehicle purchase contract is signed in several spots by me and a representative of the dealer.

The temporary license expired on August 19 and I have not been able to drive the van since then. The dealer has refused to transfer the title to me until I pay more money.

I have contacted the state attorney generals office and they sent a letter to the dealer, but it didn't do any good.

These sentences from the vehicle purchase contract may be significant: "The front and back of this contract comprise the entire contract affecting this purchase. The dealer will not recognize any verbal agreement, or any other agreement or understanding of any nature.”

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

HomeGuru

minnesotakent said:
On July 29 I negotiated with a dealer for a new van. After the first part of the negotiations I stated that I was only concerned with my final total cost of the vehicle (my total cost would include title, registration, and all taxes). We finally agreed on a total cost for me of $23,350.

On July 30 I returned to the dealership and the cost ended up being $23,409.94. I was not happy that the cost had went up $59.94, but I decided not to create a stink over $59.94.

I paid for the van in-full and left the dealership with a completed vehicle purchase contract that lists the amount for the vehicle, the amount I paid for the various fees, and the amount of the sales tax I paid.

The dealer contacted me one day later and said I owe an additional $1902.00 for taxes, title, and registration. They claim the offer sheet shows that I agreed to pay $23,350 plus all taxes and fees. In fact, the offer sheet mentions nothing about taxes, title, and registration after the initial offer because I had requested my total cost be on the sheet, not the cost plus all of the taxes and fees. The offer sheet is a mess to try to read. Offers are written over previous offers, along the edge of the sheet and even on the back. At one point they wrote that they wanted $230,000 for the van. The offer sheet is only signed by me. The vehicle purchase contract is signed in several spots by me and a representative of the dealer.

The temporary license expired on August 19 and I have not been able to drive the van since then. The dealer has refused to transfer the title to me until I pay more money.

I have contacted the state attorney generals office and they sent a letter to the dealer, but it didn't do any good.

These sentences from the vehicle purchase contract may be significant: "The front and back of this contract comprise the entire contract affecting this purchase. The dealer will not recognize any verbal agreement, or any other agreement or understanding of any nature.”

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
**A: have an attorney review your contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">