• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was deceived into cosigning an auto finance, can I get my name removed from the loa

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sumteral1974

My girlfriends car died and we started to look for a new one. While we were looking,I had asked her to Mary me, she said yes. We went and got a car, which the story is complicated, ultimately I cosigned. 2 weeks after we got the car she broke up with me stating that she didn't have "those feelings" for me and that she new this for approx. 1 year and knew that the relationship wasn't going to last. However, I believe she said yes to Mariage because she knew if she said no I wouldn't have cosigned the loan, which I wouldn't have. After she broke up with me I spoke to the dealer about getting my name removed. He said that I had to wait 3 months and she could refinance the vehicle, which she said she would. However, she and I have absolutely no contact as she refuses to communicate with me and I do not know where she or the car is. What can I do?

FlyingRon

Alas, the only thing you can do is to try to convince her to refi the car in her own name. Your romantic story will not have any sway with the lender. You agreed to pay, they expect you to pay. If the car is also titled in your name, you might also go and drive it away to encourage her to take action.

LdiJ

Alas, the only thing you can do is to try to convince her to refi the car in her own name. Your romantic story will not have any sway with the lender. You agreed to pay, they expect you to pay. If the car is also titled in your name, you might also go and drive it away to encourage her to take action.
I agree with one proviso. If she is actually making the payments (he never said she wasn't) then it would not be honorable to drive the car away. Also, realistically I do not see how someone's credit can change enough in just 3 or 4 months to allow a refi when they needed a cosigner to start with. Therefore its possible that she has tried and failed.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I have to say that there's something that bugs me about this: The OP wasn't "deceived into consigning". The OP went in to this with eyes wide open.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">