• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I got screwed.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

Ken L

What is thWhat is the name of your state? Michigan
I am a small business owner, who does drywall work, hanging and taping mostly.
I did a job for a guy whom I had done work for before.
Each time he paid me either cash or a check drawn on his and his brothers cigar business.
The last job I did for him for approx. $3000.00 was difficult to get any money from him. Finally, after weeks of hounding him, he gave me a check drawn on the co. for $1000.00.
The check bounced!
Now, we are in small claims court, as well as criminal court.
I went to court, talked to atty., did not settle, was told I needed a Maint. and Alt. license, and left court.
I thought I was screwed, until I found out that as a Drywaller in Michigan, that I did not need a license to hang and finish drywall as long as I was not changing the structure of the building.
Now my question is this..............
Do I have to sue him or his brother,(who is the only one able to write checks)or the company, seperatly from the rest of the suit for the bad check.
In other words. Im suing for 3000 for the job done, and can sue for 2X the amount of the bad check plus the check, or 3000 more?
Im SOOOOOO confused!
Who do I sue? And for how much?
Please Help!!!:confused:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">