• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

was I scammed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

iamataloss

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas,

someone wired money to a car dealer for a car that i was told a gift. the car dealer called and told me the monies were there and to come get the car. they assured me that everything was complete and I drove home with the car. two days later I was told the wire wasnt there. I signed all papers and was told the car was mine. what is the law with that.

swalsh411

When I hear about a money wire and an unexpected gift in the same sentence I immediately think scam and 99% of time I'm right.

Banned_Princess

When I hear about a money wire and an unexpected gift in the same sentence I immediately think scam and 99% of time I'm right.
99.995%

There is that time my long lost unknown uncle e mailed me from Canada and told me he won the lotto, and just needed some help claiming the prize... because he first has to pay taxes on it. Please send him 10g's to claim my half of the 4 million.

lol.

jgombos

If this is a real wire, sent over the swift network, the money cannot appear and disappear. This kind of wire is permanent, and irreversible.

Of course it's a scam. Strangers don't give away cars for free. The question is whether and how the dealer is involved in the scam.

If the dealer doesn't have the money, then they lied about having it in the first place, unless we're talking about something other than a wire transfer (eg. an electronic check or ACH transfer). It's technologically impossible for a sender of a wire to pull the money back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">