• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I was sold an R/T model car, the VIRIN says it is an SXT

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shickok

Louisiana
I bought a 2009 Dodge Aventer R/T. It says R/T on the car and in all the paperwork I signed. When I went to get insurance the VIRIN said the model is an SXT. An SXT is the next model lower. The value of an SXT is at least $1,000 less. What can I do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

FlyingRon

Was it new?
Who did you buy it from.

If it was a used car, trim levels are not models and you probably have no recourse.

If it was new from a dealership, you certainly should work your way up from the dealership to the regional level if the trim line was misrepresented.

R/T should have been really obvious if you weren't getting it (no leather upholstery, etc...). Decals on the outside are never to be trusted.

I'm slightly confused...I don't believe the trim level is reflected by the VIN or are you saying you used the number to look up the build sheet on your car.

swalsh411

The insurance company could be wrong. Do you have a 2.7 liter V6 or a 3.5 liter V6? You should notice the difference between 187 hp and 235.

shickok

Thank you for the reply.

I bought the car used from a dealership. There do not seem to be any differences in the car that aren't available in SXC. It has chrome wheels, leather, 4 cylinder engine. The base model R/T as far as I can tell could pass as an SXC except for the sticker.

The insurance company ran the VIN through the "VINdicator" and it came up as SXC. I called the insurance company to see if maybe SXC was actually SXC/RT or some kind of combined field. It seemed like to the insurance person that R/T was a different entry. USAA is the insurance company.

The difference in price is about $1,500. "R/T" was soaped onto the window, it was on the sticker, the registration, the car badge.

I looked up the blue book suggested price and bartered my way through the deal with that in mind.

Appreciate the help!

swalsh411

The R/T came standard with a 3.5 liter V6. If you have a 4 cylinder you most assuredly do NOT have an R/T. It sounds like somebody just stuck the stickers on and the dealer never bother to verify. (and neither did you).

shickok

swalsh411, the 2008 model came standard with the V6. I found sites that say the 2009 model is available with the 4 cylinder 2.4L.

2009 Dodge Avenger

The dealership said that when they look at the VIN and the paperwork it is showing R/T. I can print out the decoded VIN and bring it to them but I don't know what to expect.

I guess I'm grasping at straws here. Is it worth pursuing with the dealer?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Enter your VIN in the following decoder and it should give you info about your car:
http://www.analogx.com/contents/vinview.htm

(not an endorsement...I just found it by googling!)

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">