• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I went on vacation and the condo we rented was double booked

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mhadi10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hi, I recently went on a trip to Miami Beach, Florida. A few friends and I rented a condo (I paid the 50% to reserve the condo), when we get to South Beach we learn that the condo was double booked. The person we booked with did not answer the calls. We spent that night at the hotel and the next day we rented another condo. That was New Years. We had paid 50% to book the condo thats was double booked, now I'm getting the run around and not getting my money. What can I do?

las365

How much did you pay for the down payment?

How much did you pay for the hotel?

How much did you pay for the replacement accomodations?

mhadi10

Thanks for your reply.

For the down payment I paid 1024 which was 50%. It was a 1br that sleeps 4.

For the Hotel the final cost was $112. Which was a waste because we didn't sleep, but we had no choice because we got to South Beach around midnight. It was probably the worst hotel I've ever stayed in. We couldn't sleep, it was really filthy and this coming from a guy!

For other accommodations we spent $1200 for the remaining 4 nights. We had to settle for a studio for 4 guys, because we couldn't afford a 1br anymore :(

las365

To try to make sure I have this right, you would have paid an additional $1,024 if the original rental had been available as promised, for a total of $2,048. The total you paid for the accommodations you did use was $1312.

I am not an attorney and cannot give you legal advice. It sounds to me as if you are probably entitled to: get your deposit back in full, get recoupment of any filing fees or court costs that you may incur to get the refund, and perhaps get a little something for the trouble you went through due to the breach of contract.

Speaking of which, was there a written contract for the lease?

If the lessor won't respond, small claims court would be your venue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">