• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I wrote a bad check 5 years ago....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shipcrt5

What is the name of your state? South Carolina

My wife wrote a bad check for $185 5 years ago. A lifetime ago. Now we are buying a house and to improve our credit, we wanted to pay this item off. The agency that had it originally sold it to JBC and Associates which I have read "wonders" (can you feel the sarcasm) about. They literally had the state of Minnisota out to get them in one case. JBC says i owe them $185 plus a $30 fee the original company charged....and i am ok with that........................................and an additional $500. No way. What the hell are my rights here?

Last edited:

pammness

not sure about that but.....

I believe if they sold this to that company then that company gets that amount, like you said I also would have no issue with the extra 30 bucks but the 500 extra, does sound like a rip off. Call your local better business bureau. They may be able to tell you if that is a legitimate add on. They also can tell you the history of the company and who exactly is the contact person listed for that company with them (the bbb). Onced you obtain that information. Call that contact person, keep notes of date/time/number you call/who you spoke to. If you have to leave a message let them know that you have talked to the BBB and you are giving notice that if you do not hear from them in x amount of days (ask the bbb how long they have to respond to you, this may be different in your state) Here it is 5 business days..... Anyhow, if you do not hear from them in said time you will be contacting the BBB back to file a dispute and asking for a mediatiion session involving yourself, bbb'a contact person (in case you don't speak to them the first time) and the bbb's mediation staff.
I have a feeling you will only have to pay said check fee and the 30 bucks.... I know that you have to speak to the person the bbb has on file as the contact person before the bbb will assist.
Can't hurt to go this route. I know it worked for me..... When I opened the conversation with I just spoke to the Better Business Bureau and they advised...... The gentleman was all to eager to talk to me and resolve my issue promptly.... I got exactly what I was wanting and 5 other people in company told me no. Good Luck, let me know how this turns out for you. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">