• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

IBM Lenovo switched my HDD with somebody else's and didn't take responsible for it.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

huskyblue

My Lenovo notebook computer suddenly stopped working so I sent the unit to Lenovo service center for repair under factory warranty. I have specifically marked 'Not to format or reimaging the hard disk drive (HDD)' on the Lenovo's repair service questionnaire sheet since I have valuable data stored on HDD. Lenovo called me saying my HDD would be the problem so I requested to send my laptop without repair attempt. I was going to recover my data from HDD first before I repair or replace my HDD. I received my laptop back from Lenovo and attempted to recover my data from HDD but it turned out that the HDD in my notebook was not mine. Lenovo did not repair my notebook computer and even switched my HDD with someone else's. I called Lenovo several times and explained that I need my original HDD to recover my data but can't seem to locate my original HDD. They didn't repair it and even swiched HDD with somebody else's and lost my HDD.
They said they will not take responsible for lost HDD and any data stored within the HDD. What is the best strategy to fight with them?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My Lenovo notebook computer suddenly stopped working so I sent the unit to Lenovo service center for repair under factory warranty. I have specifically marked 'Not to format or reimaging the hard disk drive (HDD)' on the Lenovo's repair service questionnaire sheet since I have valuable data stored on HDD. Lenovo called me saying my HDD would be the problem so I requested to send my laptop without repair attempt. I was going to recover my data from HDD first before I repair or replace my HDD. I received my laptop back from Lenovo and attempted to recover my data from HDD but it turned out that the HDD in my notebook was not mine. Lenovo did not repair my notebook computer and even switched my HDD with someone else's. I called Lenovo several times and explained that I need my original HDD to recover my data but can't seem to locate my original HDD. They didn't repair it and even swiched HDD with somebody else's and lost my HDD.
They said they will not take responsible for lost HDD and any data stored within the HDD. What is the best strategy to fight with them?
1: US Law Only
2: When you send your machine in, you agree that they are not responsible for lost data.

racer72

Why is it the more valuable the data on a hard drive is to the owner, the less likely they are to back it up?

BL

Was the replacement HD Good ?

In other words was it repaired anyways ?

huskyblue

Was the replacement HD Good ?

In other words was it repaired anyways ?
No, It was not repaired. I asked them not to attempt to repair and just send my notebook back to me. I wanted to recover my data first before repairing or anything. They didn't repair and just send somebody else's hard drive without repairing. Problems started there

BL

No, It was not repaired. I asked them not to attempt to repair and just send my notebook back to me. I wanted to recover my data first before repairing or anything. They didn't repair and just send somebody else's hard drive without repairing. Problems started there
I find being Lenovo and being reputable and your unit being under warranty ,it's hard to believe they'd just load someone else's HD in it and return it to you .

You said Lenovo stated the problem was the HD .

You have not stated how you know this HD the send was someone else's .

How do you know ?

It won't boot up ?

Maybe it's a new HD they sent back in your unit , and YOU have to load the recovery CDs ?

Even so , this is where you are .

You can try and load the recovery CDs ( contact tech. if necessary ) , or you can send it back under warranty and ask the replace the HD again ( if it really is someone else's ) and get it up and running in good order .

The old HD has most likely been put through the grinder .

Option #2 ) Sit and pout .

Read the warranty .

Your additional responsibilities :

A ) Back up ...Rtc.

B) The exchange of part becomes their property .

Last edited:

huskyblue

I find being Lenovo and being reputable and your unit being under warranty ,it's hard to believe they'd just load someone else's HD in it and return it to you .

You said Lenovo stated the problem was the HD .

You have not stated how you know this HD the send was someone else's .

How do you know ?

It won't boot up ?

Maybe it's a new HD they sent back in your unit , and YOU have to load the recovery CDs ?

Even so , this is where you are .

You can try and load the recovery CDs ( contact tech. if necessary ) , or you can send it back under warranty and ask the replace the HD again ( if it really is someone else's ) and get it up and running in good order .

The old HD has most likely been put through the grinder .

Option #2 ) Sit and pout .

Read the warranty .

Your additional responsibilities :

A ) Back up ...Rtc.

B) The exchange of part becomes their property .

When they send my computer, it was not working.
I brought the computer with HD to the techinician to recover the data with my personal expense.
The technician recovered the data and it was somebody else's HD containing his information.
That's why I know that was not my hard drive and took couple of hundred dollars. They send me different HD capacity with somebody else's data without repairing. I know back up was my responsibility and that's why I aksed them to send back without repairing. As I stated, they sent my notebook with somebody elses' HD. Thats the problem.

Last edited:

justalayman

so, since the data could have been lost in whatever attempts were made to repair the unit, you would be limited to the terms of the warranty.

I suggest that what they did, especially considering your directions to not reformat or re-image the HD, they installed another HD to attempt to determine the cause of the failure. They determined the failure to be the HD and not anything else, they then own the defective HD as long as they provide an equal or better HD to you.

The only problem I have is; why would they include a defective HD in your system?

I suppose this leads to the question:

what was on the HD that was so important? If it was anything illegal, I suggest they saw what was on the drive and have since provided it to some police department for their investigation.

If it was nothing illegal, again, the terms of the warranty will control as to their responsibility regarding any data on the HD. Generally, they have disclaimers up the wazoo removing any responsibility. If you had concerns, you should have spoken with them first and either received permission to have your HD date recovered before sending to IBM or requested they recover data from the HD before any repair attempt was initiated.

BL

When IBM replaces a hardware item , under their warranty they provide a replacement workable part .

The part could very well have been a workable part , but left it formatted , as per your instructions just to send it back .

That's why my questions ...

huskyblue

When IBM replaces a hardware item , under their warranty they provide a replacement workable part .

The part could very well have been a workable part , but left it formatted , as per your instructions just to send it back .

That's why my questions ...

It seems you are just defending IBM's side. The form I filled out is that I don't allow to to reformat or re-image my HD and they called me whether they can format my HD. I asked them not to format or do anything and just send my notebook with original HD. I told them I will recover my HD with my own expenses and they told me to send it back to me.

I don't have any illegal things in my HD. I just want to recover my data.
I tried to do before I sent it, but it suddenly stop working , so I coud not do it. It was the power code problem, not the hard ward problem. I thought it will be OK to replace power adopter and sent it.

In anyway, I don't understand that I have responsiblity for lost data even though that was their fault. Do I I have the responsible for switching HD and lost data even though I asked them not to repair and send back the orignal parts?

BL

It seems you are just defending IBM's side. The form I filled out is that I don't allow to to reformat or re-image my HD and they called me whether they can format my HD. I asked them not to format or do anything and just send my notebook with original HD. I told them I will recover my HD with my own expenses and they told me to send it back to me.

I don't have any illegal things in my HD. I just want to recover my data.
I tried to do before I sent it, but it suddenly stop working , so I coud not do it. It was the power code problem, not the hard ward problem. I thought it will be OK to replace power adopter and sent it.

In anyway, I don't understand that I have responsiblity for lost data even though that was their fault. Do I I have the responsible for switching HD and lost data even though I asked them not to repair and send back the orignal parts?
I'm simply Sating the warranty terms .

Now you've switch from the issue being the HD to a power Adapter.

You should have paid and had your Data recovered before sending it in for repair . Lenovo is not responsible .

I can't believe Lenovo would replace YOUR HD , if the issue was a power adapter instead .

Your post is confusing ,your English is confusing .

My bet .. Lenovo tried to appease you per warranty .You said just send it back the way it is . You got what you wanted , except to dictate recovery .

huskyblue

I'm simply Sating the warranty terms .

Now you've switch from the issue being the HD to a power Adapter.

You should have paid and had your Data recovered before sending it in for repair . Lenovo is not responsible .

I can't believe Lenovo would replace YOUR HD , if the issue was a power adapter instead .

Your post is confusing ,your English is confusing .

My bet .. Lenovo tried to appease you per warranty .You said just send it back the way it is . You got what you wanted , except to dictate recovery .
When they called me, I told them to send back my notebook with original HD to rocover data and they agreed with it. They would not recover data, so they told me to send my notebook with origninal HD. Obviously I don't want them to send my notebook with other's HD. "Send back as it is" means the notebook with original HD without doing any attempt to repair. It does not mean my notebook with somebody's HD.
I understand data loss due to repair, but I asked them to send the original HD before they attempt to repair.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">