• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

id-theft and cell phone contracts (alltel)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cschaffner1968

We've recently had a problem with a particular person trying to gain access to our contract at Alltel. A representative at Alltel is the one who informed us of the "breech". At first, Alltel was very cooperative in helping us deal with the id-theft. but now they are anything but cooperative in getting it taken care of. We've had to change our phone numbers and passwords, and double and triple check everything we do because of this. We've filed police reports, FTC report on id-theft, contacted the credit bureaus about this, etc.; done everything we are suppose to do to get things taken care of.

But the problem is, Alltel has been giving us the runaround whenever we call and check to see if any more additional "breeches" have occurred. Plus, when it came time to fax the police report to them that they asked for originally, they kept saying they had nothing more to do and didn't want it. but i know I have to keep them informed of what is going on in order to make sure the person who did the id-theft gets prosecuted in court.

Besides, outside of the id-theft, alltel made us at different times take on additional lines in order to get certain problems with phones fixed. Now we are up to 6 lines, and only use three of them. We can't really afford the other lines, and have done everything we can to get them to drop the other lines, but they refuse.

With their reluctance to help us deal with the id-theft, it only seems fair that they work something out with us concerning the three lines we don't use. Should not have to pay the ETF they want to charge us, esp. when some of our lines expire in just a few months.

They state in thier privacy policy as well as in their terms and conditions, that protecting people's privacy is paramount to them. If that is the case, then why are they being so reluctant now to cooperate in helping us deal with the identity theft? it doesn't make sense.

Please advise me on what to do with this.
Thank- you.

Antigone*

We've recently had a problem with a particular person trying to gain access to our contract at Alltel. A representative at Alltel is the one who informed us of the "breech". At first, Alltel was very cooperative in helping us deal with the id-theft. but now they are anything but cooperative in getting it taken care of. We've had to change our phone numbers and passwords, and double and triple check everything we do because of this. We've filed police reports, FTC report on id-theft, contacted the credit bureaus about this, etc.; done everything we are suppose to do to get things taken care of.

But the problem is, Alltel has been giving us the runaround whenever we call and check to see if any more additional "breeches" have occurred. Plus, when it came time to fax the police report to them that they asked for originally, they kept saying they had nothing more to do and didn't want it. but i know I have to keep them informed of what is going on in order to make sure the person who did the id-theft gets prosecuted in court.

Besides, outside of the id-theft, alltel made us at different times take on additional lines in order to get certain problems with phones fixed. Now we are up to 6 lines, and only use three of them. We can't really afford the other lines, and have done everything we can to get them to drop the other lines, but they refuse.

With their reluctance to help us deal with the id-theft, it only seems fair that they work something out with us concerning the three lines we don't use. Should not have to pay the ETF they want to charge us, esp. when some of our lines expire in just a few months.

They state in thier privacy policy as well as in their terms and conditions, that protecting people's privacy is paramount to them. If that is the case, then why are they being so reluctant now to cooperate in helping us deal with the identity theft? it doesn't make sense.

Please advise me on what to do with this.
Thank- you.
Of course they have become uncooperative, you've become a pest. Use you service, pay you bill, and quit pestering them.

cschaffner1968

Paying my bill has never been the problem. What is, is when alltel won't work with the law enforcement to get the id-theft taken care of. My dignity and privacy is not for someone to just use as they will to get whatever they want for a free ride. I'm not here for a pity party or for someone to start judging me when they don't know the whole situation. This is a legitimate question, that I need an answer to, nothing more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Paying my bill has never been the problem. What is, is when alltel won't work with the law enforcement to get the id-theft taken care of. My dignity and privacy is not for someone to just use as they will to get whatever they want for a free ride. I'm not here for a pity party or for someone to start judging me when they don't know the whole situation. This is a legitimate question, that I need an answer to, nothing more.
I haven't seen you post anything relating to ID theft...

Antigone*

I didn't say that you didn't pay your bill. My comment to you was to do what you need to do with regards to your contract.

Your calls to the service provider to "check for any more breeches" is a nuisance.
They have done what they legally must do with regards to your concern.

Btw... I don't pity you; hence no need for the party.

cschaffner1968

the id theft was when a particular person got ahold of the password to my account and used my name to try to access the account to add more phones to the account from what alltel told me when they informed me of the problem. Later that night there was alsoan attempt by someone to access the account online, cause it caused alltel to lock the account down til i contacted them the next day and had the passwords and phone numbers changed. Just the person using the password to try to gain access to the account is considered id-theft in virginia. Law enforcement is invloved in this.

Mass_Shyster

There's a reason you are asked for your state when you post a question.

Many states have enacted data security laws. The one in Massachusetts took effect 3/31.

Your state may offer recourse if you live in a state with a data protection law.

TigerD

As a debt collector I used to see "id theft" claims all the time. Excluding the bogus claims (I'm not implying that your claim is at all), at least 99 percent of id theft is by a family member. You need to look at who around you is trying to get the phone. Start with kids, then look at siblings.

DC

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">