• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Identity theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rick cox

What is the name of your state? California

I was approached by someone who was interested in buying my business. After having a contract that he changed conditions over 3-5 times, I opted to cancel our agreement, and continue my business on my own. He opened a similar business in another town, and we did not communicate after that. Now, 5 years later, I am closing my business and I find out that he used my contractors license and my name as an RME for his business for a month, possibly longer. He shows me as "dissassociated". I was never ASSOCIATED to begin with to my knowledge!!! He claims that the Contractors License Board must have been confused because he was initially supposed to purchase my business and have me be the RME and then did not change their records when he advised them that the business deal was off.....this does not sound very convincing. Does he owe me any compensation? Am I liable for any of his contracts? :confused: Is my license not my own anymore?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">