• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ignoring contract, abandoned property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lisa Baron

California - I own a business. I had a buyer for a machine owned by another business owner. I gave him a check for $13,000 and took the machine to the third party. I planned to sell it for slightly more for my profit. The owner of the machine signed a short contract I made up that said if I didn't sell the machine to the third party on that day I would return his machine immediately and he would return my check.

I didn't sell the machine and tried to call him at several different numbers. I found out he had deposited my check immediately. It bounced, since I hadn't made the sale that was to cover the check.

Since he was not taking my phone calls, I mailed him a certified letter telling him I had not sold his machine and I had been trying to return it to him and that he had no right to try to collect on my check. He faxed me a letter demanding that I make the check good because he considered the machine sold to me. I was able to catch him by phone a week later. He is completely ignoring our signed contract and saying he is going to have me arrested, sue me and put a lien on me for writing him a fraud check if I didn't make it good.

If he reported me to the Bad Check authorities (or whoever)would I be able to explain before they take action? Can I just send him a notice saying he's got a certain amount of time to take back his property? How long do I have to keep his equipment before it can be considered abandoned?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">