• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

illegal to not disclose title brands not reported on out-of-state title?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

reverendalc

i'm in washington state. i purchased a motorcycle from a buyer with california plates and a california title. there were no brands on the CA title, and the seller had just titled it himself, so was selling it to me with an affidavit which also didn't show any brands. in hindsight, i know...

but my question remains: was it unlawful for this seller to not disclose any title brands at the time of sale?

it was misrepresented as a clean title motorcycle, and only now when i'm going to sell it do i notice the brand on the title.

thanks in advance!

justalayman

first, yes, not the wisest move

second, do you have proof of the statement it was a clean title?

there were no brands on the CA title, and the seller had just titled it himself,
if he had just titled it, why were you not provided the title?

reverendalc

I suppose I misspoke or mistyped.

He hadn't titled it, but had the signed over title and a bill of sale to himself. He then sold me the motorcycle with an affidavit in lieu of title and another bill of sale.

The craigslist listing stating clean title is long lost in the ether, but i'm scrounging the net for a cached copy. I wish I had access to Harmari.
None of the email or sms correspondence mentions the title status.

If I can prove it was misrepresented, do I have an actionable case?

Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">