• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm being swindled by my local car wash

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jp1364

Alright so in March of 2012 i signed up for a membership at my local car wash for 60 a month. Everything was fine, i mean i wasn't getting car washes on a regular basis but it was worth my money. I barely went during the winter of 2013 going into 2014 but as soon as the weather got nice i went back, this was May 2014. Apparently my membership ended in March. The time frame made perfect sense so i paid for my car wash with no hassle. The membership was on my mother's credit card so she thought i was still getting car washes. In Novemeber it came up in conversation that the membership had ended and my mother mentioned that we were still getting charged monthly. I took the credit card statement to ask for a refund. The owner says she is only willing to refund 2 months and a free car wash.. meanwhile I'm still being charged for the month we were in. I try to negotiate that i get my full refund and she says take it or leave it. I tell her i want it cancelled then the next morning my parents also reiterate that they want it cancelled. It is now March and their card is still being charged. What do i do? How do i get my money back and is it plausible to seek legal help?

quincy

Alright so in March of 2012 i signed up for a membership at my local car wash for 60 a month. Everything was fine, i mean i wasn't getting car washes on a regular basis but it was worth my money. I barely went during the winter of 2013 going into 2014 but as soon as the weather got nice i went back, this was May 2014. Apparently my membership ended in March. The time frame made perfect sense so i paid for my car wash with no hassle. The membership was on my mother's credit card so she thought i was still getting car washes. In Novemeber it came up in conversation that the membership had ended and my mother mentioned that we were still getting charged monthly. I took the credit card statement to ask for a refund. The owner says she is only willing to refund 2 months and a free car wash.. meanwhile I'm still being charged for the month we were in. I try to negotiate that i get my full refund and she says take it or leave it. I tell her i want it cancelled then the next morning my parents also reiterate that they want it cancelled. It is now March and their card is still being charged. What do i do? How do i get my money back and is it plausible to seek legal help?
If you are in the US, what is the name of your state? If you are not in the US, what is the name of your country?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Your mother can try to resolve this through her credit card for the last ~two payments. Beyond that, if you can't come to an acceptable agreement with the car wash folks, you'll need to sue in small claims court. If you accept the two months from the car wash, it could be seen as a settlement, so I'd avoid that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">