• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I'm out $1200 to a contract I didn't sign.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

I

Icewater

I live in NC, the company is in FL. I purchased a satellite that would enable me to have satellite internet connectivity from DirecPC over 34 months ago. I never sucessfully set up the equipment, but did manage to give them my credit card number. I never agreed to be placed on a re-occuring monthly billing plan. When I called them, they said because I clicked on the 'I Agree' button when I unsuccessfully performed the installation, I agreed to have them bill me $34.99 every month. I never agreed to that and never read that. Also, as best I can remember I had to enter that information to complete the set-up whether I wanted the service or not. Now it's been 34 months and $1200 later. I have never recieved an invoice, but they have been charging my credit card for a service I have never used. Am I entitled to get my money back? Help suggestions? :(

Thanks,

Icewater

JETX

"Am I entitled to get my money back?"
No. Partly due to the fact that the 'recurring' monthly service fee is a standard part of the satellite installation 'package'.

Your situation is further affected by the FCBA (Fair Credit Billing Act). This Act only allows you to dispute the bills within 60 days of the last statement, limiting any covered dispute to only two months or so.

Finally, if you decided to install the system yourself (and not have them do it), you further assumed liability. And if your installation was not successful, how did they know to start billing?? It doesn't 'just happen' on purchase. You have to have either told them it was working, or the 'time allowance for self installation' expired and triggered the billing.

I

Icewater

Thanks for the response. To further clarify. There was no contract at the time of purchase about the monthly service. I did decide to install the system myself. However, I never fully installed it. I was toying with the software to get the whole picture of the installation before I started. During the installation process the software forced me to enter credit card information to continue before the process was completed. I entered the information but consciouly did not hook the computer to the phone line so no one would recieve that information. Evidentally, once I disassembled the hardware and returned my computer to a normal state, the software connected to them and sent my information and started the payments without my knowledge. I never agreed to pay them a dime.

Surely if I were to obtain somones credit card information, I couldn't just start billing them on a monthly basis. And when they discovered it throw my hands up and say well you asked for it. I'd be carted off to jail.

Ever get that violated feeling?

JETX

And did you read the agreement when you paid for the equipment? That agreement includes your committment to a specific service plan.

And what did it say about subscribing and agreeing to monthly payments??

And why did it take you 34 MONTHS to just 'discover' this issue??

And how did you KNOW to not plug the phone line in..... especially when the system will NOT work without the phone being plugged in??? The PCDirect is a satellite RECEIVER and has no transmit or upload capability. Any internet access that you send goes over the phone line.... and any downloads come through your dish!!

Guess that old 'free satellite' scam just won't work......

I

Icewater

1) There was no agreement when I bought the equipment. The equipment was completely separate from the service contract.

2) I was informed of the different service payments that were avaliable, but decided not to use DirecPC as an ISP because shortly after purchase the hardware, I changed jobs and began the process of moving to another city. Roadrunner is a much better service.

3) Until this month the Credit Union that I work with did not show who was debiting my account online. It only showed the debited amount. I travell a lot and run tons of money through my credit account. I discovered the debit from DirectWay today because of the new inteface to my online account. I called DirecPC and found out from them that I have been charged for 34 months. Only high dollar items used to catch my eye on the statement.

4) I am a technically knowledgeable and thoroughly understood the technology behind a satellite ISP. I did not plug in the phone line because I understood that is the only way they can recieve information. I went through their setup program to understand how the installation works, not to agree to a service plan. In fact, I never chose a service plan. It was their software that connected by itself and sent my information without my consent.

5) This is DirecPC not DirectTV. Its a satellite ISP and has nothing to do with television.

I was hoping to get some real advise from this forum from informed individuals. If it satisfies the conspiracy theory part of your brain bag to wish up scams, please do not respond.

Still seeking assistance,

Icewater

JETX

"I went through their setup program to understand how the installation works"
Yeah, right. And pigs fly.

Short version. You owe for the service.

I

Icewater

Did you use a CD? Did you use the version of the software from 2 1/2 years ago? Did you have their modem hooked up to your PC? Did you use the one-way satellite set-up? Keep looking up, you'll see the pigs eventually.

I

Icewater

Look... it's a bird... it's a plane... no! It's a frikin PIG! Once I contacted their corporate office and got someone with a brain behind their eyes, they realized it was unsolicited and refunded all of the money.

Icewater

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">