• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Indiana Contract Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cuperry

What is the name of your state? Indiana

Does anyone have a link to review the indiana contract law? Basically I need to find out if I am bound by a contract to pay a particular organization.

When I was a minor I signed for a peice of medical equipment (non life-supporting and non-emergency) that the company now says I owe them for because it was never returned. This was 7 years ago and I was a minor so I just want to find out if I am obligated to pay them.

djohnson

Why as a minor did you sign for this agreement? Were you married? What kind of equipment? Where is it at now? When was the last payment made on it?

cuperry

I signed for this as a minor because my mother was not with me at the time and we did not know something would need to be signed so they asked me to sign it.

No I was not married.

It was a magnetic pulse therapy unit to assist in bone healing.

I do not know where the unit is now.

As far as I know the only payment ever made on it was by my insurance company 7 years ago, I have never made payment on this because when I picked it up I was under the impression the unit was mine to keep. I did not know it was to be returned.

djohnson

Did you read what you signed? Did you pass yourself off as being of age to sign? Minors can't legally enter into contracts, however if you falsified information then you may be held liable. How do they have your information? Did they check your ID or you fill out something? I think your best defense at this point would be SOL has ran out. If they don't have judgment then they are past the time to collect on this.

cuperry

If I did read what I had signed I can no longer remember it. I did not pass myself off as being of age. They have my information because of patient records showing address and name. I just spoke to the original creditor and they no longer have any record of my debt or my paperwork. She said that the way their computers are set up everything gets put in under the patients name which is why they are comming after me when in actuality they should be pursuing my parents.

She also said that the account was turned over to the CA in 2001. I have kept an eye on my credit and this debt does not show on it.

I will play the SOL card as well as the age card but any idea if they know they are up the creek and are just trying to get me to pay out of fear or if they think they actually have a right to it?

I don't know if this has anything to do with it but I am currently building a house so a mortgage company shows on my credit as pulling my file. Does this CA have access to my credit to see that I am in the process of buying a house? Would this induce them to try to scare me into paying?

Sorry to machine gun questions but they all just flowed out of my fingers. Thanks!

djohnson

Yes, they can put a trigger on your report that will let them know when new reports are ran. It can very well be why they are doing it now. Chances are they know it isn't collectible but are taking the chance to scare you anyway. One payment can reset the SOL. They have not that much to lose anyway. I would send them something, CRRR that you were a minor at that time, have no idea what they are talking about, ask for validation, and tell them it's past the SOL.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">