• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ineffective auto epair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jelink

What is the name of your state?I live in Massachusetts. My 2001 van showed a "check engine" light on the dash, so I went off to my long-time mechanic, who informed me the on-board computer code said that a certain oxygen sensor had failed. He replaced it, for a total of $380. A week later the light on the dash came on again, and this time he told me a different code said another sensor had failed, and he replaced it for the cost of the part, $125. He did not charge me for labor. I wondered then about the likelihood of two parts in the fuel system failing so close in time.

Now the light is on again. I suspect the on-board computer itself is defective, giving false error codes. Either that or the fuel injection system is a total disaster. If the former, I suspect an emission check would show that despite the codes, the emissions are ok. If the latter the emissions should be out-of-whack.

Do I have to pay the mechanic if it turns out I am right about the source of the problem? What if he "fixes" the problem again, changing another part? Do I have to pay anything?

What are my rights?

I should say that I've been going to this mechanic for 20 years, and have been very satisified with him. But I don't think I should have to pay for his mistakes.

racer72

You are discovering the same thing many folks do, that when things start failing, it seems to snowball. What you can do is get a second opinion, take your van to your mechanic then someplace else to verify the problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">