• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

insurance invoicing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chauncy3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I am a contractor. Can somebody please advise.
One of our workers dropped the ball on invoicing a customer.
Now it's a year later and customer claims they never recv'd invoice.. That is not true.

I can prove the insurance company sent him the check to give to me.
I don't have a signed contract because we had a subcontractor do the work.
The amount is under $5000.
That check belongs to me and I want it.
Lawyer states it's too late to file lien.

What shoul I do.

Hot Topic

You can prove that the insurance company sent him the check. Can you prove he received it?

Instead of fixating on the check that you want so badly that you allowed a year to pass before you decided to do anything about it, I would restructure my business so that nothing like this ever happened again.

tarksammons

On a similar note...

We processed an insurance claim on our former property last year, which we turned over the insurance check to a local roofing/construction company (endorsed and turned over in its entirety). We had them replace the roof from hail damage, then they painted the house to use up the remaining dollars from the insurance money (part of the adjuster's claim was damage to the paint). We never received an invoice from the company and have since moved from the home. Work was performed 9 months ago and we just received a call yesterday that there is a ~$2800 balance, a balance they have never invoiced us for, nor made us aware of, nor possess any signature/authorization to perform any work above the insurance check amount (~$11K). In fact, the only document we signed was a "XXX company will perform work on our home".

The work performed was to re-roof a 1900 square foot ranch with a steep pitched roof and paint the interior (no trim, only the walls). I was stupid in signing the check over to the company before work was commenced, but you live and learn. This has got scam written all over it. Is there any legal ground for this company to stand on? Again, I have never received an invoice and never notified of a balance until yesterday.

Thank you in advance for any advice you may provide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">