• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Internet Auctions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jedi

What is the name of your state? TN

I buy a diamond ring on an internet auction site. The auction states the ring is, "G Color And SI1 Clarity". The auction goes on to say, "Diamond Is Graded In Our Lab To Our Grading Standards". When I receive the ring I take it to a local jeweler who says in his opinion the color is J and the clarity is I2. Is this misrepresentation/fraud?

Z

zappy

No becuase in their eyes, and in their lab its what they say it is.

Think of a pawn shop, man thats the best lookin damn diamond i ever done seen...gotta be a SI 1!

Go to a jewler and its... eh just another boring average diamond.

Just different standards they use, so you chose the wrong one, thats all.

The better question to ask is, did you pay a price for the diamond that would be about what you would pay for a I2? Then you didnt get ripped off.

What you were expecting was a $5000 diamond for $1000, but what you got was a $1000 ring.

J

Jedi

Thanks. I only paid $700.00 for the ring so, it is worth that much according to my jeweler.

Z

zappy

now if the ring was worth only $200 you would have a case.

The ONLY way to find a bargain on Ebay is to look for newbies with low or zero rating who screw up the ad, like the auction ends at 3:30 AM on a wednesday. I bought a pair of dj speakers and saved probably $500, if the auction ended say at 10 Pm

Also a tip: never buy from a newbie Ebay person, with less then a 10 rating or so, an expensive item, UNLESS you can pick it up in person.

saves you from possibly being ripped off.

J

Jedi

Thanks Zappy,

But, explain to me how I would have a case if the ring was only worth around $200.00? What if I had paid $1000.00 and the ring was only worth around $400-$500? Would that be fraud?

Z

zappy

Its an auction so you have some responsibilty in the bidding process, so if you got into a bidding war with other people then you will not have any claims because you overbid.

If the seller started the bid at $200 with no reserve, chances are the seller figures maybe its worth $250-300, so if you paid $500 then you just got caught up in the excitement and just overbid.

But if he stated saying its appraised at $2000, but i'm selling it for $1000, but its really only worth only $200. That would be fraud.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">