• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Issue with car title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

philanthropist1

Hello,

I don't know if this is a difficult situation or an easy one to solve. In June I purchased a used vehicle from this guy. I had summer classes going on and exams at the same time, I couldn't find a time period to get the car registered but I did insure it. In July, I searched around for the title, and I figured I misplaced it or lost it. I contacted the guy and told him what happened with the title, and I asked him to request a duplicate title, since the car is still in his name. It's been months now and October is right around the corner and I still haven't received the title from him, he stated that he sent it the first time but he forgot to sign a page, so it was returned to him and he resent it correctly this time (This was around mid August).

I would email and phone him but he would never reply or reply a week or two after. So today I wrote an email which he states that it's a "threat", but basically the email said "Did you contact the DMV, I feel at a disadvantage because you have my money and you still own the car" nothing threatening. And he replies real vulgarly stating that he doesn't care how long it takes and he is sick of this bull#.

My question is what can I do? And who's the correct party in this case? :confused:

justalayman

he gave you the title once. He is under no obligation to assist you in obtaining another one. Play nice with him or figure out how to get the title without him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">