• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

issues with a financed car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bfoust28

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? florida.

hi im buying a car from an ex, which is financed in her name. We've been broken up for about 2 months now and all my payments have been in cash. Its come to my attention that shes actually trying to sell the car, and has been for about a month now. I've asked her for a written agreement stating that the car is mine so long as im paying her for it, and once thats concluded she'll sign it over into my name. Shes told me her lawyer advised her against that due to me paying late 2 times. Suddenly she wants to inspect the car and know where it is at all times.

I've verified that shes selling it by having a friend call and inquire about the car, i know its her because she left her phone number on the ad. Hes verified that the car is for sale. So im needing some advice here because shes basically threatening legal action (which i cannot afford) if i dont pay her. If my memory serves me correctly, thats extortion, breach of an agreement, and just being a bad person in general. While i have no receipts, i do have email conversations and i have the ad listing along with the date and her telephone number on the ad, and a witness proving shes selling it.
I've paid it late the last 2 times, but i dont feel that gives her the right to sell it and ask me for money for it in the meantime.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

If the car is registered to her then it is her car. You are basically renting the car from her for as long as she pleases.

Wise up. Give her back her car and buy one on your own - the right way. This way no one can hold you hostage to a one-sided agreement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">