• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

It's dark at night...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

derby503

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT.

My step-daughter bought her first car from the auto repair shop where I have been a customer for about 6 years. I had told the service manager that she was looking for a car and to let me know if he came across one in good shape. He took in a 2003 Buick from a woman who was no longer able to drive. The car was "Checked out by their mechanic" and upon inspection they replaced the rear brakes, anti freeze and changed oil and filter. They told me that everything worked and it was in good condition. I test drove the car, checked out the engine and transmission and found it to be mechanically sound. The car was cleaned, waxed and was as clean as a cat's butt! When we returned home, my step-daughter took the car to a friends house and when she tried to come home she could not turn on the headlights. I assumed that they were a bit tricky for her and not in the same place as the lights on my van, which she used to learn to drive. I went to show her how they worked when we found out that the headlights did not work. I called the garage the next day, and they checked out the lights. I was told that the hi-low beam switch needed to be replaced. They ordered the part and told me that they would charge me for the repairs. My question, can they sell me a car that is not legal for the roads? I know that it was an "as is" sale, but they said that they check everything out, so I did not bother to check the lights as I trust the mechanic there. Apparently, someone never checked the lights. Help!

ShyCat

"Apparently"? Another likely possibility would be that when the lights were checked out, the switch was still working. Yep, things do tend to fail at the most inopportune time, but that hardly makes it the repair shop's fault. Do you really want to ruin a good relationship with a trusted auto repair shop over a presumption on your part, with no proof to offer?

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT.

My step-daughter bought her first car from the auto repair shop where I have been a customer for about 6 years. I had told the service manager that she was looking for a car and to let me know if he came across one in good shape. He took in a 2003 Buick from a woman who was no longer able to drive. The car was "Checked out by their mechanic" and upon inspection they replaced the rear brakes, anti freeze and changed oil and filter. They told me that everything worked and it was in good condition. I test drove the car, checked out the engine and transmission and found it to be mechanically sound. The car was cleaned, waxed and was as clean as a cat's butt! When we returned home, my step-daughter took the car to a friends house and when she tried to come home she could not turn on the headlights. I assumed that they were a bit tricky for her and not in the same place as the lights on my van, which she used to learn to drive. I went to show her how they worked when we found out that the headlights did not work. I called the garage the next day, and they checked out the lights. I was told that the hi-low beam switch needed to be replaced. They ordered the part and told me that they would charge me for the repairs. My question, can they sell me a car that is not legal for the roads? I know that it was an "as is" sale, but they said that they check everything out, so I did not bother to check the lights as I trust the mechanic there. Apparently, someone never checked the lights. Help!
Was it a used auto dealer sale ?

If so ,check with your DMV's vehicle safety division .

If not , and titles simply changed hands under the old owners name to you , it would appear to be as-is .

You say AS-IS ? No warranty ?

As was asked though ,do you want to ruin a 6 yr. relationship ?

Check it all out ,then if the lights were suppose to work under the laws of the sale , approach them nicely with the information .

Or ask them to reconsider and negotiate as a " good Faith " gesture , because of your long time patronage of their Co.

derby503

I live in the real world

The switch was good at 3:00pm, then by 8:00pm it stopped working? Hardly. I can always find another garage, however, good customers are hard to find, so, yes I would leave!

BL

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=799&Q=245302&dmvPNavCtr=|39696|#39700[/U]]DMV: Purchase of a Vehicle "As is"

The other posters theory is that anything can happen .

Now read the contents of the link and see if this was a dealer sale , or person you dealt with just transfered titles from the old owner to you .

Call DMVs Safety devision and speak to someone about the sale .

Non working headlamps would fall under safety .

If this were just a repair shop check to see if they had the right to sell you a vehicle titled to the owner that the shop took it from, if the title was still in that owners name .

BTW , just out of curiosity ,what did you say when they told you the part was ordered ?

Last edited:
Yes, a high/low beam switch can stop working instantly. Try having it stop working on a highway going 65 mph at about 2 am. Not fun. It is 100% possible that it failed after you brought the car homee.

ShyCat

The switch was good at 3:00pm, then by 8:00pm it stopped working? Hardly.
Why not? What proof do you have that the switch was not good at 3:00 PM? It could have been working just fine at 7:59:59 PM. It failed. One second it was working, the next it was not. At least that's how it works in the real world, not sure about your's.

derby503

BL,
Thank you for your response. When I was informed that I was to be charged for the part and repair, I asked how much the repair would cost. As his service manager was off that day, the owner could not give me a price. I told him to hold off until I was quoted a price for the work. I have contacted DMV Safety via e-mail and I am waiting for their response.

derby503

...And another thing...

Shycat,
I was informed by the mechanic that the hi/low switch was at fault. The headlight switch, located on the dash, was the only switch that my daughter had used to turn on the lights. Although I appreciate your advice, I am looking for legal advice, not just some post by a naysayer with the need to interject their opinion into this matter. I'm sure that you have the best intentions, but again, I am looking for advice in a legal matter. Thanks for your concern.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Shycat,
I was informed by the mechanic that the hi/low switch was at fault. The headlight switch, located on the dash, was the only switch that my daughter had used to turn on the lights. Although I appreciate your advice, I am looking for legal advice, not just some post by a naysayer with the need to interject their opinion into this matter. I'm sure that you have the best intentions, but again, I am looking for advice in a legal matter. Thanks for your concern.
Legally - you're screwed. If kiddo has anyone to blame, it's the genius who "checked out" the car prior to purchase (that would be YOU). You say the car checked out fine. Then, you took possession of the car. The part broke while you owned the car! Why shouldn't you have to pay for it? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">