• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I've been ripped off by auto repair shop

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BlueSapphire

Ohio

I've recently been ripped off by an auto repair shop, in Ohio. I've contacted the BBB and filed a complaint. Repair replied to the complaint and lied saying that I chose their house brand parts to repair both front wheel bearings and that I knew they came with a 90 day warranty.

Back in April, I asked about their work. They told me they use only quality Timken parts and that the job would last 5 or more years. When I saw the 90 days or 4,000 miles warranty on the invoice that I had to sign, I thought that was odd but that it didn't matter since they were telling me the job would last 5 or more years. I trusted them. Seven months and only 2600 miles later, my car was making a loud noise so I took it to Firestone. They told me it was the left wheel bearing. I thought, how could this be? I just had that repaired not very long ago. Firestone told me since repair shop did the job earlier, I should take the car back to them and have them repair the left side and check the right side because it was a little loose.

Reapir shop told me they would repair my car but I'd have to pay for the labor and they would cover the parts. They said it would cost $150 for the house brand and $275 for the Timken name brand wheel bearing. He was implying that I had the cheaper part last time and should get the more expensive part this time. I told him that they used the Timken brand last time because I had asked about it. He said, “Oh, it doesn’t show that here.” I told him Firestone will charge the same price and I'll have a 1 year warranty and he'll only give me a 90 day warranty. I would be stupid to have him do it! I also told him what he was telling me didn't make sense. If he's charging for labor, then why is he charging $150 for a house brand and $275 for the name brand when it should take the same amount of time to install either one of them and Firestone only charges $189 for their Moog name brand part. He didn't say anything after that.

I picked up my car and had the left wheel bearing repaired at Firestone. They told me once a wheel bearing is loose, they go bad. I asked them how long before it will need replaced. He told me he couldn't say. Since then, I've been hearing a noise when I'm driving that is getting louder and more frequent that I believe is the right wheel bearing going bad.

I've posted reviews on the Internet to help people not make the same mistake I made by trusting the repair shop. But since they had me sign the invoice that says 90 days or 4,000 miles, I'm not sure I can do anything more about it. Firestone told me there is no way that a wheel bearing should go bad after only 7 months and 2600 miles and that either it was a bad defective part or the job wasn't done right. I paid them $509 to repair my car! I've never in my life been sure that I've been ripped off until now. I thought about going to a small claims court but I’m not sure it would do any good. Is there anything more I can do?

Last edited by a moderator:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">