• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jeweler gave me wrong size setting.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cruzroots

I ordered an engagement ring from a reputable jeweler to fit a 1.0 carat diamond. The diamond certificate, which included the exact measurements of the stone, was provided to the jeweler at the time of ordering. When the setting came in, their goldsmith was unavailable, so they gave me the setting and referred me to another goldsmith to set the stone. Within a month the stone was very loose, and upon inspection from a very reputable jeweler (independent of whom the setting was purchased), it was determined that the setting was made to fit a larger 1.5 carat stone. Bottom line is the setting is now completely useless and my fiancé can not wear the ring that represents our love for each other. The jeweler we purchased the setting from has said that since we had the stone set, a $75 expense, they have no liability to make good and provide me the ring I ordered from them for a 1.0 carat diamond. I’m left with a setting I paid $3,550.00 for, and the emotional distress of it being completely useless and unwearable. Does the jeweler (the expert) I bought the setting from have any liability in this to make good and get me the setting that I (the layman) paid for? They’re acting like since the ring was tampered with (stone was set), the designer has no opportunity to swap it for the correct setting. What can I do?? I feel like since they sent me out the door with the wrong setting, it is their responsibility to get me the correct setting and take back the incorrect one. They’re not going to lose that much by making good, yet if they don’t, I’m out $3,550.00.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">