• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Jewelry Scam!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

davidsh

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I recently went shopping for a anniversary ring and went to what we call in Chicago.. Jewelry Row where there are MANY jewelers and you can get the best price by "pitting" them against one another.
Purchased identical rings... one was made by the outsourced company, and onother was duplicated by this jeweler. (We were not told this.) The quality of the diamonds in each ring are supposed to be vs1, and they are vs2. The color of the rings are significantly lower than contracted for.

Simply put, signed a receipt for one thing (detailing diamond type, size of ring, etc) and got a completely different ring, but looks like what I expected. The ring appraised for 1000.00 more than paid for, but I still did not get what I was supposed to by contract.

Paid 1300.00 for each ring and appraised for 2200.00.

What are my options? I am afraid that he will disagree with the appraisal of the rings and say that it is simply the perspective of the appraiser.

HELP!

Thanks!

HomeGuru

davidsh said:
What is the name of your state? Illinois
I recently went shopping for a anniversary ring and went to what we call in Chicago.. Jewelry Row where there are MANY jewelers and you can get the best price by "pitting" them against one another.
Purchased identical rings... one was made by the outsourced company, and onother was duplicated by this jeweler. (We were not told this.) The quality of the diamonds in each ring are supposed to be vs1, and they are vs2. The color of the rings are significantly lower than contracted for.

Simply put, signed a receipt for one thing (detailing diamond type, size of ring, etc) and got a completely different ring, but looks like what I expected. The ring appraised for 1000.00 more than paid for, but I still did not get what I was supposed to by contract.

Paid 1300.00 for each ring and appraised for 2200.00.

What are my options? I am afraid that he will disagree with the appraisal of the rings and say that it is simply the perspective of the appraiser.

HELP!

Thanks!
**A: did you have an independent 3rd party appraise the ring?

D

davidsh

Yes.... it was a completely independant, non interested 3rd party appraiser. This appraiser (and the one we are doing today as well to be safe and sure) are lisenced, independant, and not associated with any jewelry store or company.

Did we do the right thing?

HomeGuru

davidsh said:
Yes.... it was a completely independant, non interested 3rd party appraiser. This appraiser (and the one we are doing today as well to be safe and sure) are lisenced, independant, and not associated with any jewelry store or company.

Did we do the right thing?
**A: yes, so sell the ring and make a few bucks.

alchemist

HomeGuru....sorry but you dont know much about jewelry......most of the time jewelry appraises for about 2x what you pay....he wont be able to sell them at 2200....thats one of the things about the jewelry industry. He still has the issue of inferior goods being given to him.

D

davidsh

I knew that, so I ignored the statement. It was a nightmare as we finally returned the rings and got our money back. They promised to replace the diamonds with the quality promised. We brought the diamonds to an appraiser... out of 6 sets of hundreds of diamonds, not one matched our contract. They could not produce it since it would be too expensive to make at the price they quoted. It was not worth the time... we gave up and got our money back.

Thanks for everyones help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">