• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

just another gym membership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jhand

So i joined a gym in GA last sept. it was a 2 year contract and i told the sales guy i was moving to go to school during this summer. he said that was fine and that if i moved more than 25 miles away the contract would cancel. I asked him what proof they would need. he said a bill. i asked about a cell phone bill he said any bill with my name and new address on it would do. now that im trying to cancel it ( and i sent a copy of the lease and they said that that would work as well ) they say that i need a copy of my new state drivers license. because im still on my parents insurance i have to retain my old state citizenship. i cant get a new drivers license. i feel like its just one more tactic to not give my money back. they argue its cause the lease said "permanent residence" which requires a new DL. how am i suppose to know that when several people assured me that a bill would suffice. please help. could i stop payment cause a lease is a pretty good indicator that im living in a different state?
jes

jhand said:
So i joined a gym in GA last sept. it was a 2 year contract and i told the sales guy i was moving to go to school during this summer. he said that was fine and that if i moved more than 25 miles away the contract would cancel. I asked him what proof they would need. he said a bill. i asked about a cell phone bill he said any bill with my name and new address on it would do. now that im trying to cancel it ( and i sent a copy of the lease and they said that that would work as well ) they say that i need a copy of my new state drivers license. because im still on my parents insurance i have to retain my old state citizenship. i cant get a new drivers license. i feel like its just one more tactic to not give my money back. they argue its cause the lease said "permanent residence" which requires a new DL. how am i suppose to know that when several people assured me that a bill would suffice. please help. could i stop payment cause a lease is a pretty good indicator that im living in a different state?
jes
You are bound by the terms specified in the contract. What does the contract state?

jhand

it says that you can cancel if your permanent residence is moved more than 25 miles away from the facility.

JETX

jhand said:
it says that you can cancel if your permanent residence is moved more than 25 miles away from the facility.
Then you don't qualify. Moving "to go to school during this summer" is NOT permanent.

jhand

JETX said:
Then you don't qualify. Moving "to go to school during this summer" is NOT permanent.
well the lease of my apt is for an entire year. which happens to be the remainder of the contract,and school is a three year program so im not sure how that does not qualify. so yeah the move is PERMANENT as far as the length of the contract is concerned.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">