• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just trying to help....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KAYDEE1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
My niece asked for my help on getting a used car from a note lot, for the tax deferral down payment program. She did not have a check so she asked if I could write one for her, for the lot to hold until she took the money in. I wrote the check, and asked specifically if I was to be involved in anything at all with this deal. I was told no and that I jsut needed to leave the check. The car broke down over and over, so she took the car in and was told she had to pay TT&L (app $500). Well, they put my check through anyway, and I had put a stop to it, because I could not reach her. Welll a 'bad 'check' business called asking why i put a stop to it. I do not want anything to do with all of this crap, and would like to know if there is anything I can do to get out of ahving to pay the $1000???:(

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
My niece asked for my help on getting a used car from a note lot, for the tax deferral down payment program. She did not have a check so she asked if I could write one for her, for the lot to hold until she took the money in. I wrote the check, and asked specifically if I was to be involved in anything at all with this deal. I was told no and that I jsut needed to leave the check. The car broke down over and over, so she took the car in and was told she had to pay TT&L (app $500). Well, they put my check through anyway, and I had put a stop to it, because I could not reach her. Welll a 'bad 'check' business called asking why i put a stop to it. I do not want anything to do with all of this crap, and would like to know if there is anything I can do to get out of ahving to pay the $1000???:(
You need to make the check good and get the money from your niece. You cannot give a check to a business under the condition that it cannot be cashed ~ in that case a check should never have been given to them.

If you didn't want anything to do with all this "stuff," then you should never have given your niece the check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">