• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

kitchen supplied does not match design??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

craigbenham

i purchased a kitchen a couple of months ago for me to fit at my home, spent a lot of money on it and am taking my time to do it properly. i have now come to the worktop which was very expensive (most expensive item of the whole thing) and arranged for a fitter to come in to help with this. as soon as the fitter saw what was supplied and the plans he said "that won't fit".

it will require patching in a piece of worktop where the materials are short, in a way that the instructions say you are not allowed to do. this kitchen was designed by the company (instore), using their cupboards, their appliances and their work tops. it is going into an open plan space (which was originally the dining area and is empty bar 1 pipe running down the wall)

This worktop will require 3 joins (2 were expected) and when we read the instructions it states clearly that cutouts (the holes for the appliances) have to be at least 100mm away from joints these at the moment are 55mm. also that this piece that was missing should not be patched in (even though this materials boasts NEAR invisible joints) both of these things would void the warranty according to the instructions

first of all the manager came out said he agreed it could not be done and would speak to the designer about it being changed at their cost for granite. then returned with the designer who tried everything to get out of switching for granite (the fitter told me the designer would stand to lose his commission on this if it was). they went away and many phone calls followed, the designer contacted the manufacturer and they said they would guarantee the worktops, when i spoke to them and explained the exact dimensions (not what the designer assumed would be) they said they could cover the extra joint, but that the design was not right as the breakfast bar in it is not supported, but with the cut-out we would have to move appliances to reach the required distance, this means moving them further away from the edge and in the case it is the hobs so it will be twice as far from the front of the worktops as is expected and implied in all pictures (and standard i am told by the fitter)

my fitter is telling me that what they are asking is not right, the joint is a bad idea and that hobs should be 50mm from the front this will probably have to be doubled to achieve the distance needed. and that the breakfast bar will be a problem as there is no support and something would have to be built to support this

i was told by the designer that we had to send our fitter home, their fitter would come out and fit the worktop. but this will either require him bodging this and breaking the fitting instructions from the manufacturer or moving the item around rather than putting them where they were designed to be.

I am paying on finance and put 100 pounds on credit card.

My question is : are they allowed to make me move things around to places they are not on the design and which will make the kitchen less practical and more awkward. also should i allow them to stick in an extra piece of worktop?

there was an offer to replace this with granite earlier by the manager before he spoke to the designer, should he have to stand by this (personally i would rather the worktop we picked but have been told it is impossible to manufacture the required piece)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
i purchased a kitchen a couple of months ago for me to fit at my home, spent a lot of money on it and am taking my time to do it properly. i have now come to the worktop which was very expensive (most expensive item of the whole thing) and arranged for a fitter to come in to help with this. as soon as the fitter saw what was supplied and the plans he said "that won't fit".

it will require patching in a piece of worktop where the materials are short, in a way that the instructions say you are not allowed to do. this kitchen was designed by the company (instore), using their cupboards, their appliances and their work tops. it is going into an open plan space (which was originally the dining area and is empty bar 1 pipe running down the wall)

This worktop will require 3 joins (2 were expected) and when we read the instructions it states clearly that cutouts (the holes for the appliances) have to be at least 100mm away from joints these at the moment are 55mm. also that this piece that was missing should not be patched in (even though this materials boasts NEAR invisible joints) both of these things would void the warranty according to the instructions

first of all the manager came out said he agreed it could not be done and would speak to the designer about it being changed at their cost for granite. then returned with the designer who tried everything to get out of switching for granite (the fitter told me the designer would stand to lose his commission on this if it was). they went away and many phone calls followed, the designer contacted the manufacturer and they said they would guarantee the worktops, when i spoke to them and explained the exact dimensions (not what the designer assumed would be) they said they could cover the extra joint, but that the design was not right as the breakfast bar in it is not supported, but with the cut-out we would have to move appliances to reach the required distance, this means moving them further away from the edge and in the case it is the hobs so it will be twice as far from the front of the worktops as is expected and implied in all pictures (and standard i am told by the fitter)

my fitter is telling me that what they are asking is not right, the joint is a bad idea and that hobs should be 50mm from the front this will probably have to be doubled to achieve the distance needed. and that the breakfast bar will be a problem as there is no support and something would have to be built to support this

i was told by the designer that we had to send our fitter home, their fitter would come out and fit the worktop. but this will either require him bodging this and breaking the fitting instructions from the manufacturer or moving the item around rather than putting them where they were designed to be.

I am paying on finance and put 100 pounds on credit card.

My question is : are they allowed to make me move things around to places they are not on the design and which will make the kitchen less practical and more awkward. also should i allow them to stick in an extra piece of worktop?

there was an offer to replace this with granite earlier by the manager before he spoke to the designer, should he have to stand by this (personally i would rather the worktop we picked but have been told it is impossible to manufacture the required piece)?
I knew something didn't quite sound right...

US LAW ONLY!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">