• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Kohl's sold diamond $10,000 less accidentally?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pikepole

Illinois: Purchased a 4 carrot ring from Kohl's. It should have been $12,000 and the cashier rang it up using the wrong box for $76. Am I culpable or criminally liable?

justalayman

so basically you knew it was a $10k+ dollar ring but you willingly handed them $76 when they rung it up for the wrong price, right? You didn't say a word figuring they were having a 99.5% off Christmas sale, right?

Do you happen to know the cashier personally?

pikepole

so basically you knew it was a $10k+ dollar ring but you willingly handed them $76 when they rung it up for the wrong price, right? You didn't say a word figuring they were having a 99.5% off Christmas sale, right?

I did not know the cashier but realized that she was making a huge mistake.

LdiJ

Since when does Kohl's carry that level of jewelry? Also, jewelry sales are not made at a regular cash register so the odds of that kind of mistake happening are so slim as to be virtually non-existent. I call troll on this one...or someone not understanding that a faux diamond is not a real diamond.

pikepole

Since when does Kohl's carry that level of jewelry? Also, jewelry sales are not made at a regular cash register so the odds of that kind of mistake happening are so slim as to be virtually non-existent. I call troll on this one...or someone not understanding that a faux diamond is not a real diamond.
Google Kohl's diamonds and thanks for the help. I had it appraised independently.

Last edited:

ShyCat

I'd expect the illicit transaction to be noticed soon enough and reviewed on security tape to identify you, and the cashier questioned by both Kohl's and the local police. Between now and then, I suppose you can shop for a criminal attorney. Oh well... another life wasted for the sake of greed.

pikepole

I'd expect the illicit transaction to be noticed soon enough and reviewed on security tape to identify you, and the cashier questioned by both Kohl's and the local police. Between now and then, I suppose you can shop for a criminal attorney. Oh well... another life wasted for the sake of greed.
It occurred in June. It was legally purchased by me from Kohl's.

Can anyone answer the original question?

justalayman

please explain.

the law works like this:

if you take merchandise from a merchant with knowingly paying a price that is in error, it is no less theft than if you stuck it in your pocket and walked out without paying a thing.

You knew that was not the correct price. While you can get away playing dumb if there is a minor discrepancy. In this case, you might even be able to argue being charged close to a grand less but almost a 100% discount; yes, there is a problem, for you, in this situation.

I suspect they will discover the issue and then twist the salesperson's arm where s/he is going to admit who their accomplice is. For them to bargain their crime down they are likely to roll on you.

pikepole

the law works like this:

if you take merchandise from a merchant with knowingly paying a price that is in error, it is no less theft than if you stuck it in your pocket and walked out without paying a thing.

You knew that was not the correct price. While you can get away playing dumb if there is a minor discrepancy. In this case, you might even be able to argue being charged close to a grand less but almost a 100% discount; yes, there is a problem, for you, in this situation.

I suspect they will discover the issue and then twist the salesperson's arm where s/he is going to admit who their accomplice is. For them to bargain their crime down they are likely to roll on you.

There was no collusion or conspiracy with the sales person. It was more like $7,000 dollar difference if sales were taken into account. I'm not sure anyone could prove intent, maybe I thought it was costume? The transaction occurred almost six months ago?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">