• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord tenant dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

NotaFreeLoader

What is the name of your state? Va

I entered into a lease. In December I lost the contract I was working on and didn’t have the cash for the rent in February. I called my landlord at the end of January to say my rent may be late. My landlord said she would not accept the rent if it was after the 15th and she said she would take me to court to repossess the property. A week before the hearing I called to tell her that I had secured another contract and that I would be able to pay the funds in two weeks. She asked me to meet with her and her attorney. I told her that I didn’t want to meet with her attorney but I had noticed that the figure she entered in the term(total amount do for the lease) of the contract was the deposit plus the first month’s rent instead of the total for all the months rent. I informed her that I didn’t think I was in breach of the terms of the contract and suggested she mention this to her attorney and maybe we could come up with a deal that I would pay the rent and move when the start up cash for the contract cleared (next week) and avoid a judgment against me. She called me back and said her attorney said the amount entered for the term didn’t matter.

In the summons it states, “If you pay all rent and arrears, attorney’s fees, late charges contracted for in a written agreement, interest and costs at or before the return date and time you may prevent this unlawful detainer action. I covered the terms in the written agreement with the deposit and first month’s rent.

Am I an unlawful detainer?
Where do I stand in this agreement?

Thank in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

NotaFreeLoader

M

mobopp

Then have your proof, cancelled checks and reciepts and on your court date show that to a judge.

If you dont show up for your court date you will LOSE by default even though you paid.

The court is the final word not the landlord or her lawyer.

Z

Zophia

I live in NJ and here LL must take payment up and until the court date... Check your state laws regarding your situation...
Hope this helps!!!!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">