• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

laptop repair negligence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

billp215

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? pennsylvania.paid to have dc jack replaced but speculate only repaired as it broke after two charges.also power wires to wireless card do not reach the device as the motherboard was put back wrong. so not only dont get a charge but cannot recieve wireless service.company is being defiant so i plan to sue in small claims.is it best to have the laptop repaired(possibly videotape the removal) to see if the jack was new or leave it as is for the courtroom?

repair was to be 125.00
replacement was 189 tax includedWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

BL

BillP , you can take it for another estimate of repair /or repair and have anything the first place did WRONG noted on the estimate/repair invoice .

Perhaps an alternative is consult the folks at http://forum.worldstart.com[/U]/]WorldStart Message Boards

Post under PC ask and answered .

Knowable folks may be able to ( or perhaps you can ) look up a repair tutorial for your make and model laptop .

Also they may leave some fedback or information for you.

If you obtain the tutorial and disassemble the laptop your self , I suppose you can take your own pictures /video and compare it to that of the tutorial .

I'm not sure how a motherboard can be installed the wrong way though .

billp215

meant to say they did not give themselves enough wire to reach the wireless card,about an inch and a half short.they thread from the backside through a hole in the center and are hung up somewhere on the board.
but better to have it fixed then?

BL

meant to say they did not give themselves enough wire to reach the wireless card,about an inch and a half short.they thread from the backside through a hole in the center and are hung up somewhere on the board.
but better to have it fixed then?
Was the place you had it repaied in the business of PC repairs ?

If so, have you accually taken it back there for them to see the issue ?

swalsh411

Your postings are barely intelligible. I am pretty good with computers but could you please try to write in comprehensible english sentences?

What is a "dc jack" The only thing I could think of was the power connection to your laptop but that has nothing to do with the problem you are describing.

If the only different here is $189 - $125 I suggest you pay it and move on with your life. If that is not the case please describe the problem in a way that normal people can understand.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
DC Jack is the place, internal to the computer, where you plug the power cord in to.

justalayman

swalsh411;2480160]

What is a "dc jack" The only thing I could think of was the power connection to your laptop but that has nothing to do with the problem you are describing.
I believe that is one the correct one but note that there are 2 problems; one with the power jack/dc port/ power port/ what ever and one with the wireless card connections

If the only different here is $189 - $125 I suggest you pay it and move on with your life. If that is not the case please describe the problem in a way that normal people can understand.
I'll agree with you on this point. A bit confusing.

anyway, since the repair shop is being defiant (refusing to warranty their work?) you need to address the terms of any warranty. If the warrantied their work, you need to give them the opportunity to do that. If they are refusing, since a teardown and inspect and reassemble would be an unrecoverable expense, I would simply take have it repaired at another shop and have the tech note exactly what they did and saw, expecially concerning what you had worked on from the first shop. Pics are a great idea if the tech will take pics.

then, for any work the second shop had to re-do that the first shop did or any work required due to something the first shop damaged and had to be repaired, present the first shop with a demand letter and if they fail to pay, sue them for what it took to repair any damage they caused (if any) and what you paid the second shop to re-do UP TO what you paid the first shop. They would not be liable for paying for a shop with higher charges to do the work, only for the work you paid them for that was not performed properly.

One thing you need to check: often times, a power jack repair is not warranteed. They are often put in with a "it might work, it might not" position and as long as the customer approves of that, the customer has no claim for a refund. Many times the motherboard has to be replaced due to how the power jack connects to the motherboard and the difficulty in being able to connect a replacement power jack properly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">