• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

laptop serial number and repair

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JudyDudiak

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

I purchased a vpr Matrix laptop from Best Buy along with a 3 year extended warranty contract on 2/22/2003.

This computer has gone into the shop for a number of different repairs.

During the last trip, the laptop was returned without repairs being completed because the serial number wore off the label and was not longer discernable. The tech department instructed me to contact the manufacturer and obtain a new label.

The computer was manufactured for Best Buy and all numbers connect to a BB rep. I have contacted the company several times and get the same reply. They have not made provisions for this contingency and do not have any duplicate labels they can issue.

I cannot use the computer until it is repaired. I have the original serial number along with my extended warranty number.

Are there any laws that require a manufacturer to produce a new serial number label under these circumstances? What is my recourse at this time?

Many thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">