• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Late fees on a verbal contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hlewis77

I live in California and hired a gardener that comes once a week for $45 per month. I was 4 days late on my last months bill (the first time in 6 months) and he charged me a $10.00 late fee. We have a verbal contract, nothing was signed, and he never told me that I would incur a late fee. Can you tell me if I legally have to pay the late fee?

Verbal is not written proof

The nice thing about verbal contracts is that there's no written proof of you being told or not being told about a late fee. You need to check to see if your state recognizes verbal contracts as that may play into this. If it was me I'd pay the $45 and ignore the $10 late fee. If the person throws a fit find someone else.

HomeGuru

hlewis77 said:
I live in California and hired a gardener that comes once a week for $45 per month. I was 4 days late on my last months bill (the first time in 6 months) and he charged me a $10.00 late fee. We have a verbal contract, nothing was signed, and he never told me that I would incur a late fee. Can you tell me if I legally have to pay the late fee?
**A: and you puposely failed to tell us the agreement you made regarding when payment would be made. There are 2 sides to this.

hlewis77

Actually, I didn't purposely do anything, but I did state that I was 4 days late for the payment. It was due on the 4th and he received it the 8th.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">