• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Late Payment Fee - Mail Requirements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

srife1

Can late fees be assessed based on payment received and processed date or should they be based on post mark date? I live in Ohio and the credit card services company is based here as well.

I've got a 12 months same-as-cash credit card for some dental work I had done and they have charged me a late fee of $29 twice for late payments. The first one I got waived, but the second they won't waive. I pay $150 monthly on an approximate $30 minimum payment, to get my balance near zero by the end of 12 months -- simply to take advantage of the 12 months same-as-cash.

I always pay my bills on time and have outstanding credit. For the past 20+ years I have always mailed my payments 3-5 business days before the due dates and have never had a problem with a creditor. The credit card company has stated to me after this second late fee assessment that I need to mail my payment 8 - 10 business days to ensure it gets there on time. I don't see this written on the back of their statement anywhere.

I never intended to pay any finance charges on this credit card (I always pay my complete charge card balances monthly) and don't wish to pay this late fee. Am I obligated to? I wrote them a letter stating that I wanted it removed -- the payment was received 1-day late and they assessed the $29 fee!

Someone told me that they couldn't charge me a late fee if it was post marked before the due date. Is this true? If so, what can I do to avoid paying, other than paying the balance and not including the $29, telling them I won't pay it? Then I'm likely to get charged finance charges on top of that.

TIA,
Scott:mad:

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">