• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Law against refusing to sell merchandise?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jenobug

What is the name of your state? Virginia.

I am reposting my complaint from another board so please excuse :

DS went to Wal-mart with DH today and picked out a toy for his brother and sister and then picked out a really cool Star Wars Ep.3 toy he has been drooling over since he saw it on amazon. Well they get to the register- it won't ring up. They call the toy manager and she quickly scoops the toy up and says "these aren't for sell yet" and walks away, leaving DS wondering what he did wrong and very upset and DH just dumbfounded and also feeling as if he was in the wrong for trying to buy something that was on the shelf.

I was in another town and felt really bad. DS didn't pick out another toy so I went to the Wal-mart nearby and found a star wars toy there (can you tell that ALL we have is Wal-marts?) Well, they wouldn't let me buy it there either. My question was "WHY IS IT ON THE SHELF IF I CAN'T BUY IT???" I understand it is a promotion and the toys should not have been put on shelves until a certain date, BUT THEY WERE! If you can tell me that its not for sale at the register, why can't you look on YOUR shelf and make sure items that aren't available aren't stocked? I can look over the whole toy selection in 30 min- AND IT's NOT MY JOB!!!

Yes, I know its just a toy, but DS doesn't understand marketing promo's!

Okay, I do NOT want to sue anybody, but the posters on another board told me that a if a store displays an item on its store shelves, then legally they are required to sell it to you unless it is clearly marked Not For Sale or for display or promotional purposes only. I was wondering if this is true and where I can find a copy of this law. If I return to the store and see these on the shelf, I would like to have a copy to show them.

Thanks for any help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">