• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawsuit threat for noncompletion of contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nodeel

THe contract was signed in Illinois...but with a Wisconsin based company.

Heres the skinny. My father signed a contract to have some significant construction work completed - to the tune of over $400,000. After the first preliminary phase - around $40,000 spent, the project became infeasible - and has since then, been dormant. Now, the contractor is threatening to sue unless my fatgher gives him 40% of the original contract - for doing nothing at all and charging "interest and late fees" on the original contract. He's threatened to sue as well.

My question is this. He can probably sue and win on this basis alone, but is there a statute of limitations involved here? This "breach" by my father occurred several years ago - I'm wondering if we can get this thrown out on that accord. Is anyone familiar w/either Wisconsin or Illinois statute of limitation regulations for contract law???

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

nodeel said:
THe contract was signed in Illinois...but with a Wisconsin based company.

Heres the skinny. My father signed a contract to have some significant construction work completed - to the tune of over $400,000. After the first preliminary phase - around $40,000 spent, the project became infeasible - and has since then, been dormant. Now, the contractor is threatening to sue unless my fatgher gives him 40% of the original contract - for doing nothing at all and charging "interest and late fees" on the original contract. He's threatened to sue as well.

My question is this. He can probably sue and win on this basis alone, but is there a statute of limitations involved here? This "breach" by my father occurred several years ago - I'm wondering if we can get this thrown out on that accord. Is anyone familiar w/either Wisconsin or Illinois statute of limitation regulations for contract law???

My response:

Give us dates!

Also, was there a "Promissory Note" in the contract?

IAAL

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">