• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lawyers charging interest on unpaid balances

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JOHN7457

What is the name of your state? North Carolina Hi, I hired a attorney in a civil matter and during my first visit he asked for a $3500 retainer fee which I gave him and that was all that was discussed about fees. After he did some of the work he deducted the retainer and sent me a bill which I cannot pay all at once. No where on his first billing does he indicate he will charge interest on any unpaid balance. I sent him a payment the first month after receiving his bill. I received his 2nd billing and he charged me 2% interest on the unpaid balance. Can he charge me interest when he never discussed it with me & it was not indicated on his first bill. Thanks for the help. John

HomeGuru

JOHN7457 said:
What is the name of your state? North Carolina Hi, I hired a attorney in a civil matter and during my first visit he asked for a $3500 retainer fee which I gave him and that was all that was discussed about fees. After he did some of the work he deducted the retainer and sent me a bill which I cannot pay all at once. No where on his first billing does he indicate he will charge interest on any unpaid balance. I sent him a payment the first month after receiving his bill. I received his 2nd billing and he charged me 2% interest on the unpaid balance. Can he charge me interest when he never discussed it with me & it was not indicated on his first bill. Thanks for the help. John

**A: state law states that interest can be assessed on unpaid balances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">