• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lawyers ethics

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kathymcg

ny
I recently hired a lawyer to represent me in civil case I was being sued for a considerable sum of money. I was also going through a divorce at this time but this lawyer was not representing me for my divorce. We had a brief relationship and after a few weeks he dropped my case. I was just wondering if this was legal?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

kathymcg said:
ny
I recently hired a lawyer to represent me in civil case I was being sued for a considerable sum of money. I was also going through a divorce at this time but this lawyer was not representing me for my divorce. We had a brief relationship and after a few weeks he dropped my case. I was just wondering if this was legal?
My response:

What do you mean by, "relationship" ?

Are you talking about a brief "business relationship" or an "intimate relationship" ?

And, what were the reasons given for having "dropped my case." ?

IAAL

K

kathymcg

Thanks for responding.
I was having an intimate relationship with this lawyer while he was representing myself and ex-husband. He was also representing my husband on a DWAI charge. One night my husband was out at a bar and the lawyer and his brother came in and a fight broke out after that I received a letter that he could not represent me because of a conflict of interest because my husband did press charges on his brother. I know this story sounds bizzare but I feel that this lawyer took my money and now I have to hire another lawyer to represent me.

HomeGuru

It is totally unethical for an attorney to be having sex with a client unless of course the client is the spouse or significant other and the relationship commenced prior to the attorney client relationship.

K

kathymcg

Thanks for responding. NY

Is it illegal to have sex with your client or is it just unethical?

M

mary ray

It is unethical, not illegal. Maybe your former attorney came to his senses and dropped you as a client after what happened.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">