• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lease agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

msatlas

What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My daughter has terrible asthma brought by animals. She moved in to her new apartment three years ago. I was with her when we spoke to the leasing agent and we told her that being in a building with animals could be fatal. The last time she was in a house with a cat she was in a coma for three days and we did not know if she would live. The leasing agent assured us that the building was no pets and would ALWAYS be that way. The lease also sadi this was a no pet complex.

After two years in one building, my daughter moved to another building to get away from highway noise......she had a month to month lease at that time and for some reason it was never changed.

the point.......the mangers have allowed cats into the buildings....they never told my daughter who only figured it out because she got sick when ever she went home. She can't live in her apartment, she can't even go to pack. Anything we can do?

HomeGuru

msatlas said:
What is the name of your state? Minnesota

My daughter has terrible asthma brought by animals. She moved in to her new apartment three years ago. I was with her when we spoke to the leasing agent and we told her that being in a building with animals could be fatal. The last time she was in a house with a cat she was in a coma for three days and we did not know if she would live. The leasing agent assured us that the building was no pets and would ALWAYS be that way. The lease also sadi this was a no pet complex.

**A: was this assurance by the leasing agent in writing?
After two years in one building, my daughter moved to another building to get away from highway noise......she had a month to month lease at that time and for some reason it was never changed.

the point.......the mangers have allowed cats into the buildings....they never told my daughter who only figured it out because she got sick when ever she went home. She can't live in her apartment, she can't even go to pack. Anything we can do?

**A: have her give notice to terminate the m/m lease.

M

msatlas

The lease does state that the entire complex is a no pets allowed complex. She has told tem she needs to move as soon as she can find another place...their answer was...."what's the big deall..the cats aren't in your apartment". She may not be able to find another place for a few weeks, until then she willl have to stay in a hotel or Residence Inn type place and she won't be able to move herslf so she will have to pay movers to do it all. It seems the management co. should be liable for these expenses.

HomeGuru

msatlas said:
The lease does state that the entire complex is a no pets allowed complex.

**A: yes but does the lease state that "the no pets policy would ALWAYS be that way?"

She has told tem she needs to move as soon as she can find another place...their answer was...."what's the big deall..the cats aren't in your apartment". She may not be able to find another place for a few weeks, until then she willl have to stay in a hotel or Residence Inn type place and she won't be able to move herslf so she will have to pay movers to do it all. It seems the management co. should be liable for these expenses.

**A: I disagree, unless the management company specifically agreed to in writing that the buildings would be pet free and always be that way.

M

msatlas

the leasing agent told us that the owners were two doctors and they hated pets and would never allow them in the buildings...it seems to me that at least she should have been given two months notice....there was change made in the lease she signed, if she had wanted to make a change she would had to give them two months notice. I have called an housing helpline and they advised me to take the management company to court.....said we should get 2 - 3 months rent and moving costs. Thank you so for responding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">