• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

legal contract?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

Arafel

What is the name of your state? Ohio

a friend of mine recently broke up with her boyfriend after living together for over five years. they have both moved on. the ex, however, is requesting that my friend pay him back for everything he provided while they lived together. originally, he demanded $38000, but has since agreed to $6000. my friend originally agreed to pay the $6000 over two years because she felt guilty for having had an "affair" with a co-worker and because the ex had been supportive when she ran away from home at age 17... he took her in and they proceeded to have a relationship at that time. her "agreement" was only via email and a voicemail, there was never a written contract involved.
the ex has insisted that this is a loan which should be paid monthly, with 8% annual interest. he has even hinted that this is a legal obligation which would have repercussions should she happen to miss a payment.
as i stated, my friend originally agreed as a gesture of "thanks" for everything the ex had done for her and also because she was a little afraid that the ex might "expose" her relationship with the co-worker.
the ex is now treating this as a fully legal binding agreement.
can he take this to court for enforcement?
she's tried to explain that she doesn't think this is a fair agreement and that they should get on with their lives, but he won't let it go.

racer72

Till she signs a legal contract or a judge hands down a judgement, the ex cannot force anything. She should tell him to pack sand and try to sue. She would have better luck dealing with a judge then the ex.

Souix

What about the fact that this "ex" had a relationship with a 17 year old girl, a minor. I thought that was considered statutory rape regardless of consent and I also thought that minors cannot enter into contracts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">