• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Contract age?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bpier962

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah
My 17 year old son ordered a free trial offer of a tooth whitening product. He did not realize that if he wanted to cancel he had to do so within the first 10 days and return the product or he would be charged for the product and subsequent monthly shippments. When his debit card was charged the $78.00 fee we realized what he had done and cancelled the service. They would not refund the $78.00 since he did not cancel within the 10 trial period. Can I get them to refund the money based on the fact that he is not of leagal contract age?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Utah
My 17 year old son ordered a free trial offer of a tooth whitening product. He did not realize that if he wanted to cancel he had to do so within the first 10 days and return the product or he would be charged for the product and subsequent monthly shippments. When his debit card was charged the $78.00 fee we realized what he had done and cancelled the service. They would not refund the $78.00 since he did not cancel within the 10 trial period. Can I get them to refund the money based on the fact that he is not of leagal contract age?
Is this his account?

Antigone*

Yes, this is his account and debit card.
Then have your son call his bank. He needs to tell his bank that he entered into a contract he did not have the legal authority to enter into and he would like to have this charge reversed.

Just so you know if I got a phone call like this one as a banker, I would refund the money to the account, immediately draw a cashiers' check for the total balance of the account and send it to the no-longer a customer.

Your son made a purchase using his account and his money. Now he is going to use the "I'm not adult" excuse to get out of the situation, then he does not deserve to be treated like an adult. Like I said, I'd give him back his money and then close his account out as undesirable because he is not a risk worth having.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">