• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal Contract Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Loh_Jane

Hi all,
I am doing a legal quiz. It is very difficult and I guess the answer is b,please help.

When Harry met Sally, he asked, "Why are you so upset?" Sally replied that she needed to mow the lawn by the next morning, but had lots of schoolwork to complete. Harry slipped into Sally's lawn that afternoon when she had gone to school, and mowed the lawn for her. When Sally returned, she was very happy, and promised to pay Harry $50 for his kind act. Which of the following statements is false?

a)Sally made a valid contract with Harry to pay him for mowing her lawn.

b)Harry was not entitled to insist on being paid $50 because he mowed the lawn before Sally promised to pay him.

c)Sally can refuse to pay Harry the $50 that she promised to pay him.

d)If Sally had promised to pay Harry for mowing the lawn before he did the job, it would be a valid contract that Harry can enforce in Court.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Hi all,
I am doing a legal quiz. It is very difficult and I guess the answer is b,please help.

When Harry met Sally, he asked, "Why are you so upset?" Sally replied that she needed to mow the lawn by the next morning, but had lots of schoolwork to complete. Harry slipped into Sally's lawn that afternoon when she had gone to school, and mowed the lawn for her. When Sally returned, she was very happy, and promised to pay Harry $50 for his kind act. Which of the following statements is false?

b)Harry was not entitled to insist on being paid $50 because he mowed the lawn before Sally promised to pay him.

d)If Sally had promised to pay Harry for mowing the lawn before he did the job, it would be a valid contract that Harry can enforce in Court.
e) We don't do homework. :cool:

quincy

Hi all,

On this site, we handle US law questions only and laws vary significantly from state to state (and country to country). We ask every visitor to this site to provide their state name for this reason.

That said, I agree with Silverplum's answer of (e) and will additionally say that it would be nice if everyone had a friend like Harry. I hope Sally recognizes how lucky she is.

Mass_Shyster

I bet you were one of those students that kids wanted to sit next to during a test because you would let them copy off you, huh?
The answer without an explanation is as useful as the rest of the answers given.

And for anyone else interested, the answer to the ultimate question of life is 42.

quincy

The answer without an explanation is as useful as the rest of the answers given ...
Except on a multiple choice quiz. Picking the right answer gives you credit, even if you have no clue why it is the right answer. ;)

tranquility

The answer without an explanation is as useful as the rest of the answers given.

And for anyone else interested, the answer to the ultimate question of life is 42.
But here, we know the question. Now, both the answer and the question. Does that make the quiz cease to be? (Perhaps replaced by an even more bizarre quiz?)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">