• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legal question in regards to a recent vehicle trade

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mmastenbrook

Minnesota. Quick Legal question in regards to a recent vehicle trade that I was involved in. I traded vehicles with someone (we will call him Bill to lessen confusion) in a mutual understanding that Bill had registered the vehicle and was awaiting for the title in the mail. 3 Weeks later I get a call from the Original owner (we will call him Joe) of the car stating that that is not in fact the case. That Bill and Joe traded vehicles and that their was a lein on the title and that Joe, was unsure if he can get the title due to a discrepancy. I never gave Bill my title as a sort of "insurance" in the strange event he couldn't get me the title. Now the question is can i just repossess my vehicle? A Bill of Sale was signed and issued between both Bill and I. Would that be voided considering Bill signed off on a vehicle he did not legally own. Another problem that may play a factor is that my original car has now been side swiped in some sort of accident since it has been in Bill's possession. So if in the event I can just get my car back I am at a loss due to the fact that there is an immense amount of damage that was not there when I owned the vehicle. If it is in fact legally possible for me to just repossess my vehicle would I be able to sell the vehicle I received in the trade (for parts with no title) to cover the cost of the damage that was done to my original vehicle since it has left my possession?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">