• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it legal for stores to refuse refund on damaged item?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KoBillion

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
So my wife bought this shoes at Southcenter mall (Stylez 365), after she came out she found out the shoes she bought has some stains on it, so she immediatly went back to the store and asked for exchange/refund. The store does has a pink paper and says their refund policy and they will only give store credit. However when she got back the sales told her there are no other shoes left but they can get it from other stores for her. She decided to wait and they finally called her. When she got to the store again, this shoes they got is a different style as she memtioned. So we decided to ask for our money back. Now here is the problem, the store doesnt has anything she wants and they refuse to give us our money back but store credit only. I understand if it is our fault that we dislike an item, the store has the right to refuse or whatever, however they sold us a DAMAGED item... Does this still falls in their policy are do we get to get our money back instead of store credit because the item is damaged? And after we kinda decide to settle for less and get the wrong shoes they have, we found out this shoes is missing some stones on it... Which means they exchanged us a damaged item... So now de we have the right to have our money back or well still get the store credit only? Can someone please help? I live in Seattle, Washington!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
So my wife bought this shoes at Southcenter mall (Stylez 365), after she came out she found out the shoes she bought has some stains on it, so she immediatly went back to the store and asked for exchange/refund. The store does has a pink paper and says their refund policy and they will only give store credit. However when she got back the sales told her there are no other shoes left but they can get it from other stores for her. She decided to wait and they finally called her. When she got to the store again, this shoes they got is a different style as she memtioned. So we decided to ask for our money back. Now here is the problem, the store doesnt has anything she wants and they refuse to give us our money back but store credit only. I understand if it is our fault that we dislike an item, the store has the right to refuse or whatever, however they sold us a DAMAGED item... Does this still falls in their policy are do we get to get our money back instead of store credit because the item is damaged? And after we kinda decide to settle for less and get the wrong shoes they have, we found out this shoes is missing some stones on it... Which means they exchanged us a damaged item... So now de we have the right to have our money back or well still get the store credit only? Can someone please help? I live in Seattle, Washington!
Your wife has a right to store credit. SHE CHOSE TO BUY A DAMAGED ITEM. She had the opportunity to examine the shoes prior to purchase. For some reason she failed at that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">