• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legality of Stop Pmt. on goods received

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

photo123

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

When a customer picks up a product, pays for the product with a personal check with an agreed upon amount, then within 30 minutes puts a stop payment on said check, what legal solutions does the shop owner have? Is the client in trouble legally?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

When a customer picks up a product, pays for the product with a personal check with an agreed upon amount, then within 30 minutes puts a stop payment on said check, what legal solutions does the shop owner have? Is the client in trouble legally?
Have you contacted your customer and asked them why they stopped payment on their check?

You have civil legal remedies. Visit your California Courts Self-Help website. There is even a sample letter you can use to send to the person who stopped the check

California Courts: Self-Help Center: Small Claims: Research Your Case

photo123

I appreciate your advice concerning small claims, but what I truly need to know for this instance and future ones, did my client do something illegal with the stop payment? I spoke to them. They are trying to get a cheaper than agreed upon price for the product they took.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">