• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lemon sail boat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shelley64

What is the name of your state? We live in British Columbia Canada and bought a sail boat privately 3 weeks ago. It had ben sitting, unused a few years and needed major clean-up, this we knew. My husband paid $2000 cash and wrote $200 monthly checks for the other $2000 owing.

The first time we tried to take it out the tiller snapped in 1/2. The 4th time we took it out (by motor) we lowered the keel. Overnight the boat took on water and sank from a hole beside the keel that had been siliconed, and the silicone plug had popped out.

My husband with help from other people at the marina got the boat pumped out and out of the water. He also brought the motor home and did everything he could to save it. The owner was out of town and we finally got ahold of him. My husband told him he wanted his money back because the boat wasn't sea worthy. The man said he wasn't sure he wanted to give us our money back. We realize we can put a stop on the checks but what can we do about the other $2000?

Any help would be appreciated, "our lemon sunk"

Happy Trails

shelley64 said:
What is the name of your state? We live in British Columbia Canada and bought a sail boat privately 3 weeks ago. It had ben sitting, unused a few years and needed major clean-up, this we knew. My husband paid $2000 cash and wrote $200 monthly checks for the other $2000 owing.

The first time we tried to take it out the tiller snapped in 1/2. The 4th time we took it out (by motor) we lowered the keel. Overnight the boat took on water and sank from a hole beside the keel that had been siliconed, and the silicone plug had popped out.

My husband with help from other people at the marina got the boat pumped out and out of the water. He also brought the motor home and did everything he could to save it. The owner was out of town and we finally got ahold of him. My husband told him he wanted his money back because the boat wasn't sea worthy. The man said he wasn't sure he wanted to give us our money back. We realize we can put a stop on the checks but what can we do about the other $2000?

Any help would be appreciated, "our lemon sunk"
Sorry, US law only, your lemons could be our oranges.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">