• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lemon washer/dryer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

daletoo

What is the name of your state? Michigan

In May 1999 I purchased an ASKO (ASKO USA is in Texas) brand washer and dryer set for approx. $2,400. In the 4 years I've owned it, I've had to make at least 5 service calls, several for major things. The motor in the washer has burned out twice, the heating element in the dryer, fuses, fuse holders, the front control panel. In total, service calls have exceeded $500. ASKO paid for the motor replacement in 09/2001, and they will pay for the new replacement motor as well (just burned out last Sunday). I feel that this is an unacceptable track record for a $2,400 set of appliances. Is there any kind of "lemon law" for major appliances? I don't want them repaired anymore, because they just keep breaking. I want someone, whether ASKO itself or the place I bought it from, to buy them back from me at a pro-rated cost (considering I used them for 4 years), which I think should be at least 1/2 of the original cost. Do I have any legal recourse?

JETX

"Is there any kind of "lemon law" for major appliances?"
*** No.

"I don't want them repaired anymore, because they just keep breaking."
*** Then your alternative is to sell them or junk them.

"I want someone, whether ASKO itself or the place I bought it from, to buy them back from me at a pro-rated cost (considering I used them for 4 years), which I think should be at least 1/2 of the original cost."
*** Sorry, but that will never happen.

"Do I have any legal recourse?"
*** Based solely on the information in your post, no.

UPDATE: I have reviewed the ASKO warrantly and it appears that they significantly improved their warranty AFTER your purchase. You might try to contact them to see what, if any, relief they can offer as a 'good will gesture', but they are under no obligation other than your warranty rights.
http://www.askousa.com/customercare/warranty2000.htm

Last edited:

crusheroz

Best money I ever spent was on my Maytags. Also is it possible you are over loading your washer, I know that will cause a motor to burn out, I did it to my Mom's when I was a teenager?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">