• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

lendee has missed a payment. my options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mattk01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Hello all

Here is the short story.

I sold someone a car for $1500.

They gave a great sob story.

They paid me $1k up front and I agreed to 5 monthly payments of $100 each. We wrote and signed a simple contract stating this.

Before the first payment was due, I learned the story was a complete fabrication and now I feel stupid for extending credit to someone like this.

They have been very difficult to get ahold of and the first payment date (7/26) was missed.

Even though there was no language in the written agreement for late payments, do I have any recourse for getting the full $500 immediately?

Small claims court?

Thanks!

MK

Last edited:

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Hello all

Here is the short story.

I sold someone a car for $1500.

They gave a great sob story.

They paid me $1k up front and I agreed to 5 monthly payments of $100 each. We wrote and signed a simple contract stating this.

Before the first payment was due, I learned the story was a complete fabrication and now I feel stupid for extending credit to someone like this.

They have been very difficult to get ahold of and the first payment date (7/26) was missed.

Even though there was no language in the written agreement for late payments, do I have any recourse for getting the full $500 immediately?

Small claims court?

Thanks!

MK
What did you do with the title of the vehicle?

mattk01

I understand I can't reposses, but since we have a signed contract is there any recourse for forcing him to pay in full since his payments are late?

thanks for your time.

Dandy Don

Is he employed and can he afford to pay you or is he deliberately not paying you out of spite?

File a suit in small claims court--I predict that you will be the winner!

Antigone*

Is he employed and can he afford to pay you or is he deliberately not paying you out of spite?

File a suit in small claims court--I predict that you will be the winner!
...ah...so you're the one hoarding the crystal ball, Don. Hording the FA crystal ball is not cool:p

mattk01

"Hording the FA crystal ball is not cool"

haha...

He told me he has a job but at this point he has lied about so much that I don't know what to believe. I think he can pay, but so far we are about 10 voice mails and one visit to his house and I still don't have payment #1. I just don't want to do this for 5 months.

I will look into small claims court.

Thanks both of you for your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">