• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lied to before signing contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mobey

I live in Pennsylvania.

I went to a job placement agency and was told that I would have no trouble getting a local job in conservation soon after completing the 4-week program.

I completed the program and there are no jobs in my field. They say in their contract that if I complete all five steps in the program, which I have, and am unable to find a job, I am entitled to a full refund of $400. It also says that I have to send them the rejection letters that I have received in order to get the refund.
So, they say I have to wait around until jobs appear and then send any rejection letters.

What upsets me is that I was lied to about the time frame. Now that they know I'm upset, they are saying that it can take 6 months to a year to get a job through their program. Had I known the truth, I never would have signed their contract.

Is there any way to get a refund since I was lied to before signing the contract, which says nothing about time frame?

JETX

And what EXACTLY does the contract say about a guarantee for job placement??? Other than include the clause "Any verbal promises or statements are not binding."

What EXACTLY does the contract say they will do if you can't find qualified employment and what EXACTLY do they say you have to do to qualify for the refund?????

Who says you have to wait around for the jobs to appear??? Send your resume to about 20 or so companies that would normally hire people of your qualifications. Hope that you get a couple of rejection letters (how many do you need??? Get it in writing!). Then, give them those rejection letters. Pretty simple.

M

mobey

First of all thanks for the quick response.

The contract says, "Any rejection letters you receive for jobs you have applied to on your own, without our employment counselor, will not be considered for a refund."

Also, in tiny print, it says that " certify that there have been no verbal promises or commitments other than those appearing hereon." On the contract itself, there are no indications of time other than the 30-day program you go through before job searching.

Guess I've been scammed? Should I just cut my losses?

JETX

I wouldn't say you have been 'scammed' (yet), but you certainly have been put in a strange position. The contract promises a refund, but only if certain conditions are met (the have to submit you) and they control those conditions!!

Here is what I would do (all in writing with proof of delivery, certified RRR):
1) Write the 'employment counselor' and get very specific details on what you have to do for them to submit you to employers (who furnishes resumes, etc.), ask for a response within 5 business days. Then, make sure that you meet EVERY requirement they impose.
2) Send a polite, profesional letter (with the requirements, see #1) to the 'employment counselor' STRONGLY requesting that they 'send you' out for employment within the NEXT 5 business days and to copy you with any and all offers or rejections. Also, ask that they copy you with the letters to employers 'so that you don't cross their hiring efforts with your own'.
3) Then, keep in touch with them WEEKLY for the next 2-4 weeks to see how many employers they have contacted and the response from each.

Keep records of all the above, including phone notes (dates, person and conversation).

Now, with all that done, you should have a pretty good handle on what (if any) efforts they have done to help you find employment, with sufficient evidence to take them to small claims court for your damages if they have defrauded you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">